1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

"Clean Your Own Carbs!" Old School Method by: Rick Massey

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by RickCoMatic, Aug 28, 2006.

1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Happy New Year everyone.
    Welcome 2007!

I managed to bang-out the information that brings-together the "Do Your Own Carbs" series; at long last. Because ... Winter is here!

I'm going to be finishing-up the "Do Your Own Carbs" with a few extra added attractions; and watching the Thread in case there is any discussion or questions from anyone who might actually be diving-in and cleaning the heck out of their carbs for the coming season.

I can appreciate how intimidating it is, for any "Carb-cleaning First-timer."

I'll answer questions and everybody else will help you get 'em all back together and "On-the-hairy-edge" tuned-up.

Clean. Clean-Tune. Re-clean after clean-tuning. Re-assemble with "High-performance touches." Bench-Sync. Mixture Pre-sets. Install. Cable-up.
    Button-up. Run. Tune. Race.

You're on the way.

2. shamus

shamus Member

With the air jets under eath the cover beneath the diaphram, Should the big or small jet be closest to the centre?

3. RickCoMatic

The Big Jet (#225) is forward.

The Smaller Jet (#80) is "Center"

The hole for the cover next. (Empty)

4. Alive

Alive Active Member

Re: "Clean Your Own Carbs!" Old School Method by: Rick Mass

Rick.... Excellent piece of writing and very useful to those of us who are working on carbs...

5. shamus

shamus Member

thanks... thats exactly what it says in my Haynes manual....

6. XJJeff

XJJeff Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=88.583765+4

You could always do like I did. I went to star-motorcycles.com/service and printed out the pic of the exploded carb. as a referance.

7. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Also, has anyone heard of cleaning your carbs by boiling them out in lemon juice? Yes, and there are alot of people who swear by it. I have not had the chance to try this method myself, but when the time comes, I will. It is not suppose to hurt any of the internal parts, so why not give it a try. It's suppose to work boiling the carbs for 1/2 hour, submerged entirely in the lemon juice. Just a thought! >PD<

8. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

An absolute "must read" for anyone who works on their XJ's. Thanks Rick! BTW, have fun with the kit. I saw where you had posted for info on the blog, but I thought you were going acoustic. I remember years ago wanting a set of Simmons, but I ended up with Tama Imperialstars. Nowadays, all my beats are done on the PC. There's some amazing software out there!

9. ctraugh2005

ctraugh2005 Member

Thanks for the info on the carbs, I bought some new intake boots to replace my old cracked ones, now I have another reason to take them carbs off.

Now all I need to do is finish up my house remodeling and work on my bike.

10. Fongdingo

Fongdingo Member

This is gerat, but how bout some pics to go along with it. Evreyone enjoys pics. I know get the cd Whish i could no pay pal acount.

11. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Rick, this is an awesome bit of writing. If there were pix to go along with it it would be twice as good. This needs to have a new topic column opened for it and be permanently stored for others to view (C'mon, moderators..TechSection thread!!!!) Well done!
    How does this thread relate to the Mikunis?

12. RickCoMatic

There are a few "Different Looks" with Mikuni's. Nothing big.

I agree that Photos will add a great deal to the text. I regret not having taken photos when I had the Carb Clinic.

We had to drill-out a Mixture Screw on Wolfmajor's Carbs ... and, I had to drill and pull-out all the Plugs before I could get to mine.

I have a set of Carbs down on my bench that I have to clean. I'll be getting to them as soon as the work to a Mrs. Massey's family-room project is done.

I have one pulled one float bowl to se what I'll be dealing with. The "Ugly" is below all the floats and jets.

So, those pictures are coming soon,

BUT ... following the CRASH of my DELL ... I'm stuck with having ONLY typing until we get a NEW PC or a NEW MAC.

I want a MAC
    Mrs Rick wants a PC

Until we're done with that Tug-O-War ... I type in a font I can hardly read.

13. RickCoMatic

There are a few "Different Looks" with Mikuni's. Nothing big.

I agree that Photos will add a great deal to the text. I regret not having taken photos when I had the Carb Clinic.

We had to drill-out a Mixture Screw on Wolfmajor's Carbs ... and, I had to drill and pull-out all the Plugs before I could get to mine.

I have a set of Carbs down on my bench that I have to clean. I'll be getting to them as soon as the work to a Mrs. Massey's family-room project is done.

I have pulled one float bowl to see what I'll be dealing with. The "Ugly" is below all the floats and jets.

So, those pictures are coming soon,

BUT ... following the CRASH of my DELL ... I'm stuck with having ONLY typing until we get a NEW PC or a NEW MAC.

I want a MAC
    Mrs Rick wants a PC

Until we're done with that Tug-O-War ... I type in a font I can hardly read.

14. Fongdingo

Fongdingo Member

Get the mac although i use pc i wish i had a mac. The misses will like it once she gets used to it and will never go back once she does. Mac has better pic movie and publishing software, and no virus or crashing. hope to see the pics soon

15. escali

escali Member

You need to make a "How to Clean Carbs for Dumbasses" manual, because it takes me longer to figure out what the pieces you are talking about are than how to remove them. Maybe a picture book for visual learners like me.

16. RickCoMatic

I didn't have a Computer that would deal with Photos all that too well when I wrote it. But, I do plan on taking my Carbs off the Bike and doing a complete "Show and tell" this off-season ... which ain't OFF yet!

That and Guide to tweaking for Performance.

I should have saved some of the photos I took of some of the Carbs I did for a few people during the season. I really had to pull out all the stops a couple of times.

Rebuilt a Float Hinge Pillar.
    Drilled-out a few Pilot Mixtuure Screws.
    Put a new Hat on an Enrichment Valve Stem.
    Shoveled-out the crap on a set that sat for over 10-Years. (Nasty)

What I really ought to do ... Now,, that I have this new MAC with iMovie ... is mic myself and do a Video of the Process from Beginning to End and make an affordable DVD.

THEN we'll have some Clean Carbs on-the-street. Huh???

17. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Hey I would buy it :)
    The pics add a bit of personality to the carbs.
    Instead of "that thingy next to the other thingy."
    Most of the ones who need this info are a bit behind the curve.
    Maybe a Pop Up Book, lol :lol:
    Great job BTW, I wish I could print it for the "John Reading"

18. joshua

joshua Member