1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Does XJ550 SECA and XJ550 4v8 parts work together?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by juntao, Jun 10, 2024.

1. juntao

juntao New Member

Hi.

I just bought myself a XJ550 -83 4v8 bike and I'm wondering if parts for a -83 Seca would fit?

Just to be clear I tried to google and also check the forum, but I really didn't get any wiser.

The reason I ask is that most parts on eBay is either Seca or Maxim, and from what I found on the forum (see attached file), the 4v8 is more like the Seca than the Maxim.

Could that be a fair point? Does like the carburetors, engine, gearbox, electrical scheme etc. works on either bike?

Thanks a lot of the help!

A new but excited XJ550 owner :)

Attached Files:

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The 4V8 is very similar to the North American XJ550R Seca models, but it has some extra features that the North American models did not (and should have!), such as:

- oil cooler
    - dual front disc brakes
    - standing handles on both sides
    - pass/flash high beam switch
    - different wheels
    - and probably a few other goodies

Most of the XJ550R Seca parts will fit, especially as it pertains to engine and bodywork. Front forks are different, of course, as well as front brakes.

4. juntao

juntao New Member

Awesome, thank you very much that easies thing up a bit, and makes sense with the parts you mentioned :)

Do you guys also know if there is any big difference between say -81 -82 and -83 Seca models? And -81, -82 and -83 models? A lot of things on eBay is year specific, however, some initial checking seems like the parts are the same.

Thanks again, highly appreciated :)

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Besides bodywork colors, there's nothing (that I can think of) that's really unique between 1981-83 models.

6. juntao

juntao New Member

Does anyone know by chance where to find a service manual

I found this site that had real good drawings of all the different areas, but no real 'guidance' on how to for example change oil, service carbs etc.

Found a thread on XJ Bikes: that states: "HCP1094 Clymer SERVICE-REPAIR-WORKSHOP MANUAL for all 1981-83 XJ550 and 1984-92 FJ600/XJ600 models"

---

Is this indeed the correct book on Amazon? (See attached file, I was not allowed to post a Amazon link).

I'm just thinking since there are differences with for example Maxim/Seca and 4V8.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Also.. Many of the parts listed as 'Seca' on European ebay for exmaple probably are just 4V8 Euro model anyway. Peopel us the word to distinguish them form imported Maxims of which there are
    surprisingly quite a few. Apart form the camshafts I beleive most Maxim engine parts are also common, only the running gear and instruments are different... probably.

8. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Thats the book I also have - not sure Haynes ever made one.