1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Driveshaft removal question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Gork, May 2, 2017.

1. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Correct. It shouldn't leak there.

Oombok likes this.
  2. Gork

Gork Member

So I'm planning on replacing the seal in red but you believe the seal in green is the one that is actually bad.
    Where I'm seeing oil is the area in blue in the attached diagram - that's why I was wondering if there should be no drive oil on the end of the drive shaft or that is to be expected.

rear oil leak xj.JPG

When I upend my final drive oil runs out of it in the area where the drive mates to the swing arm.
    I take it that is not supposed to happen?

xj rear oil leak.JPG

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The only reason that gear oil is in the blue area is a failure of the seal circled in green. The driveshaft should never have any oil on it from any source.

The breather that I suspect is clogged is the truncated cone at the top of the final drive.

4. Gork

Gork Member

Bummer for me then - is the breather removable? I received another drive today, needs a new coat of paint but otherwise ok. I have another arriving tomorrow. Figure having the seal redone will cost more than the unit is worth, shame as the bike only has 12K miles on it.

5. k-moe

The breather is removeable and costs about $11. I believe that it is a press-fit and removal will damage the breather. You should try cleaning it out before replacing it. Spray carb cleaner will do the job.

Stumplifter likes this.
  6. Gork

Gork Member

If the seal is compromised will cleaning the breather have a positive effect or only if the seal is not damaged but a clogged breather is causing oil to be forced out past the seal?

7. k-moe

IF the leak was caused by pressure blowing the seal, then you may be able to re-seat the seal and be fine. If it were mine I'd put in a used unit and be done. Save that one for something to do in the winter.

8. Gork

Gork Member

I have 3 spares... fingers crossed.
    Unfortunately none look as nice as the one it came with but I'll work on that.