1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork conversion for 85 XJ700?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Bolakor, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Bolakor

Bolakor New Member

Is this even possible? I know the 700 has next to no aftermarket support beyond "one size might fit if you cut it up", so is there any kind of fork conversions that actually fit the xj700, or is it a dead end

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

3. 50gary

50gary Active Member

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

what are you looking to gain by fork conversion?

5. Bolakor

Bolakor New Member

I'm wanting to get a more sport oriented look and feel, seeing as it's a 700cc sport bike at the end of the day, and I'm wanting to do track days, but the riding position doesn't really help with any kind of sport feel, and its admittedly long wheelbase doesnt allow it to have much in the way of nimble handling needed for even learning a track

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

As much as we all love our XJ's, they are never going to be suitable for track days. What you may spend on modifications will buy a dedicated track bike.
    My 1st time on a road race track (1999) was a day dedicated to newbies. They put us in a classroom 1st and made sure everyone understood the flags, just basic track rules. Many were on the latest sportbikes, My brother and I showed up with KLR650's on street tires. It was an absolute blast. I passed a big inch Ninja on a particularly fast corner and the guy was complaining about his tires after the session. My brother showed him his Avon Gripsters and he muttered that he should have just brought an enduro to, LOL.
    The next year I bought a new VTR1000 and a 2nd set of body work for the track but didn't get along with that thing, the wheelbase was too long to fit that V-twin.
    Then I bought an FZR600 already set up for the track. I swear that thing was the most fun I ever had on a motorcycle. I did about 5 track days with it then sold it for exactly what I paid for it. Then I set up my KTM525 with supermoto stuff and did a few track days with it. My advice is get a supermoto and smoke your friends in the corners, lightweight is much more important than hp for a newbie.
    This is me on my FZR back in 2001. I'm an old man now and the road race track is too intense for me now.
    track day front.jpg

chacal and k-moe like this.
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

leaning Hmmmm are you aware of the term counter steering?

k-moe likes this.
  8. Bolakor

Bolakor New Member

Yes, I am aware of counter steering, and I am also aware that a long wheelbase and taller height allow for a steeper lean angle while negatively effecting turning radius, while shorter height and wheelbase decrease maximum lean angle but tighten the turning radius. While I could simply drop the forks that are in place now to shorten both height and wheelbase to a degree, it still leaves me with forks that I highly doubt the previous owner ever did any maintenance to,and I would be very against putting through anything more strenuous than driving to and from work

1984 Suzuka 8 Hour, yamaha prepped an XJ750R for the race. Admittedly it is the ONLY XJ yamaha ever raced, but, it shows that with enough determination it is possible. I'm not looking for the ultimate track machine that will hug every corner and have me replacing knee sliders because I'm dragging knee at 200mph.

Im not looking for the ultimate track machine (I admittedly dislike sport bikes with a burning passion), I want my machine. I love the motor, I love the gearbox, I just hate that it turns about as fast as a 66 fairlane with a broken power steering pump. So, changing out my forks for a more modern set that I can use to shorten my wheel base, drop my height a bit, and improve my suspension is nothing but gold to me. And from a fitment standpoint, according to Allballs sizing charts, pretty much every fork on every honda to ever exist will fit, though I do expect different lengths on the rod that goes inside said bearings so more research.

80s racing, to me, was perfect. No one knew what we currently know about modern performance and riding positions, everyone was trying to learn faster than everyone else, to improve everything they could as fast as they could. From the motors, to the carbs, to the riders themselves, everything was up for grabs, and nothing was out of bounds.
    And, if it turns out that it just doesnt work on the track, then I still have a bike that is wholly my own and performs how I want it to. So, no matter what happens, it's a win win in my book.

Simmy likes this.
  9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Actually I forgot about a few listers here who have track prepped 550 Secas. I imagine they are quite competitive in Period 4 vintage class.

k-moe likes this.
  10. Bolakor

Bolakor New Member

Exactly. It's possible, if you're stubborn enough. And we Mondzelewski's are quite stubborn.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A XJ700 Maxim is not an XJ750 Seca (the frames are different for one).
    The Suzuka prepped Seca that you mention had a lot more done to it than changing the forks. For starters it had a chain driven rear wheel.
    I applaud your desire to turn a cruiser into a track day bike, but you're going to get more value from buying an FZR instead.

Having said that, swapping the forks from an R6 has been done and apparently works well, but those were done to Seca 650 and 550 models. The 650 and 750/700 stem is the same, so that swap should work for you. IIRC the R6 stem needs some machining to work.

What are you planning to to to the rear?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

And the placement of the front axle in relation to the centerline of the fork angle is different, too, which affects the trail.

k-moe likes this.
  13. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Eliminating the leading axle will increase trail all other thing being the same. However, the R6 forks for example would be shorter therefore (along with the smaller diameter front wheel/tire) will reduce the rake (caster) which will decrease the trail. So it may be slightly different but will balance out the rake and trail equation.
    Cheers, 50gary

14. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Buy an FZ750, robust, quick enough and bargain basement prices (at the moment). Pissing about with futile fork swaps will rob you of time and money you could better spend on the track. IMHO.

k-moe and XJ550H like this.