1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork Pressure

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tim O, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

I mentioned in another post... but just wanted to put up here I can't believe the improvement in bike handling since changing a few settings on my forks. I'm now running 18 psi and I turned the anti dive 1/2 turn out compared to fully closed as the PO had it. If it starts to feel harsh I pull out a couple psi.

I think I had seen in another source that had typos that the MAX pressure was 5.7 psi for my 82 Seca 750. And I had been running 5 psi.
    Then I saw the Haynes says 17psi... but I also thought it curious that the UK model is same springs and dimensions but max 36 psi operating and also the Americas versions Max and range are different numbers. I'm wondering if it's another typo?

Anyway... she RAILS in the corners right now.... don't forget these settings when doing checks or bringing a bike home :)

For comparison, I'm 5'10" - 220lbs.

upload_2018-8-4_11-2-47.png

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Curious as I haven't seen it addressed here, but is that the pressure on the centerstand with the forks fully extended or with the wheel on the ground and the forks slightly compressed from the weight of the bike? It seems it makes a big difference in the measured PSI and it would seem fully extended would be the correct checkpoint for consistency.

Just for reference the Yamaha FSM specifies the standard pressure as 5.7PSI, but notes during fork rebuild not to exceed the maximum of 36 PSI, both of which match the data you posted.

k-moe likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Burbon. Moderator Premium Member

That is one of the tables in the Haynes that is correct. What you set the forks at will depend greatly on your weight, what you have onthe bike in tems of luggage (if any), and what the roads are like. I set mine quite differently for touring than I do for just riding around.

4. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Curious if the extra air pressure will wear out the fork seals quicker.....

5. maybe4

maybe4 Member

according to the owners manual......."when checking the air pressure there should be no weight on the front end of the motorcycle"

Rooster53 likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Burbon. Moderator Premium Member

It will not. Exceeding maximum pressure will force oil past the seals though.

kerriskandiesinc likes this.