1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork tubes bent or triple tree?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 82750maxim, May 1, 2019.

1. 82750maxim

82750maxim New Member

So when I first bought my bike ('82 xj750j) the handlebars were slightly kinked.. That wasn't the worst of the damage considering it didn't run when I bought it. Now that it runs, I have been messing with the forks. I loosened up all bolts on the fork except for the two top pinch bolts on the top triple. Pumped it and gave it a slight jolt and got it back fairly straight. So thinking it was successful I set out on a ride, after a little while of riding and hitting a couple bumps in the road the top triple is back to being kinked. Does this mean the the triple tree is bent itself? Or would one of the tubes be the culprit here? Also might as well add, on occasion when I take my hands off the handlebars I get a death shake quickly. I thought the wheel may need balanced but Im assuming it could be related to this fork issue. Any input is appreciated.

2. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Its easy enought pull the axle/front wheel, remove calipers and drop the forks out of the tripple clamps.
    From there you should be able to by eye, or with a straight edge check the fork tubes for true.
    Its pretty rare to bend the triple clamps themselves, however i have seen the top one twisted on the main shaft (which is permanantly attached to the bottom.) putting them out of alignment.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you did not loosen the top clamps then the tubes never had a chance to realign properly.

4. 82750maxim

82750maxim New Member

If I’m loosening the very top pinch bolts that’s different than what I read in a fork adjustment forum. If I loosen the two pinch bolts and center bolt up top along with everything out won’t the triple tree slide down the fork? Sorry if that’s a stupid assumption

5. Colin 85 700

Ya it will, put the bike on the center stand or equivelant, milk crate. If you got a headder in the way like me, hang the bike by the bars.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That's not a stupid assumption. That will happen for most forks (if the clamps are loose enough), but not with yours.
    The forks are registered on the triple by the air collars, which are kept from sliding by a pair of spring-wire retainers. The forks won't slide up in the clamps at all, even if you would want them to.

How to: #16 (note that the forks are of a later type, but the process is identical).
    And: fork-alingment.42244

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  7. Colin 85 700

Well i didnt know that, ^^^^^ mine has straight tubes so... :)