1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front end wobble

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Gerard750, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gerard750

Gerard750 New Member

Hello all. This is my 1st post. I have a 1981 xj750 seca that when i take any pressure off the handle bars at almost any speed the bike will start to wobble and get worse the longer left that. Its like its working its way up to tank slappers. Anyway just took it in for mvi and didnt mention anything about it cause i wanted it to pass lol. Well it did pass but was told the front tire may be showing a little scallop. I just ordered a new d404 front should that fix the problem or will this tire wear because of another problem somwhere as this tire on front now looks fairly new. I just got the bike recently and its had the wobble right from the start.

2. Gerard750

Gerard750 New Member

3. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Steering head bearings will fix that. They may just be loose, but it's probably a good idea to change them either way.

I had the same issue and that fixed it up.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Suspects in order of ease and concern.
    1. Unevenly worn tire or wheel/tire combo is out of balance.
    2. Worn headstock bearings (this is very common as hardley anyone bothers to do maintainance like they should).
    3. Rear shocks that are worn out and bouncy.
    4. Worn swingarm bearings.
    5. Bent frame.

Start with the tire and see how she does, carefully.
    Headstock bearings should be checked before you remove the wheel, or right after the new tire is on if you already have it apart for that.
    Put the bike on the center stand with some weight on the rear of the seat so that the front tire is clear of the ground.

Center the steering and push lightly on one bar end with one finger. The bars should flop over to the opposite side. If they don't then the bearings will at least need to be cleaned and greased. Also feel for notches that may have worn into the bearings when the bars are centered.

@chacal sells both the original type bearings, and a correct roller-bearing upgrade if you find that the original races are worn.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Toomanybikes likes this.
  5. Gerard750

Gerard750 New Member

Ok thanks for the replys fellas. I will get the guys at the shop to take a look at that. Much appreciated

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Ummm..... you should be the only shop that looks at and fixes your bike.

Deathboner727 and Colin 85 700 like this.
  7. Gerard750

Gerard750 New Member

I worked on alot a diffrent parts of the bike but as im not that skilled i thought front end stuff should be looked at by a professional. i need them to put on and balnace my new tire anyway, but i know what ur saying k-moe.