1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front Wheel & Brakes (82 XJ650R)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by firebane, Jun 6, 2018.

1. firebane

firebane Active Member

So recently I redid my front wheel bearings and after assembling I heard a really bad noise. I came home and pulled it all apart and found my rotor ate into my caliper mount on the left side.

I have no taken it all apart and tried to put it back together many times but no matter what I do nothing goes together smoothly.

If I put the spacer and speedometer hub onto the wheel I am unable to slide them between the forks smoothly and the only way I could get it into the forks is by forcing them apart.

By forcing them apart this unfortunately creates a situation where the rotor is not centered between the caliper mount.

I've included some pictures to maybe see something I've missed? One concern I've had is the spacer for the right side. Is it supposed to stick out like that?

Right Spacer:
    [​IMG]

Left Rotor:
    [​IMG]

Speedometer Hub:
    [​IMG]

Right Side:
    [​IMG]

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

check your fork tube alinement

where did you get the wheel bearings?

did you seat them fully?

can you show a photo of speedo hub in the wheel?

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The right side spacer isn't seated fully, which would mean that the bearing isn't seated fully.
    Please post pics of both sides of the wheel at the bearing bores. Take them a bit oblique so we can see the bearing depths clearly.

4. firebane

firebane Active Member

Pulled fork tubes and re-inserted and tightened down top pinch bolts and things seemed to fit better so thinking that was twisted.

Bearing kit came from All Balls part # 25-1316

Bearings are fully seated. Checked by putting finger underneath and no gap exists.

As mentioned the bearing is fully seated... so maybe the All Balls kit is incorrect?

I was thinking the spacer on the right side was seated all the way but it can't go down any further.

What I found to work to get everything lined up was to tighten the pinch bolt on the speedo hub side so that when I tightened the right side the rotors aligned within the caliper mounts.

This is leading me to believe there is either spacers or a bearing issue :\

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

all balls do fit properly

do you have the spacer tube in between the bearings?

6. firebane

firebane Active Member

If you mean the one for the axle yes that is in there.

Would someone be willing to take a picture of the front end of their bike so I could see the spacer and such in question.

One thing looking at this:
    https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xj650r-seca-1982-c-usa_model8877/partslist/E-01.html

Is I'm missing part #7 but I don't think that would make that much difference.

7. firebane

firebane Active Member

Also does the end of the axle with the hole sit against the speedometer hub? I assume yes.

8. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Have seen the spacer inside the hub is crooked and won’t allow bearings to sit right. Or is fender pulling the forks together and not allowing you to install the wheel.

9. firebane

firebane Active Member

Only thing attached to the bike right now is the wheel and brakes nothing else. I know the spacer inside is fine as it can move around without any issues or binding.

I'm going to loosen everything off tonight and just tighten axle then bounce the crap out of the bike.

10. firebane

firebane Active Member

So I went out again and tried again and again...

Putting a punch in the axle hole allows the axle to not move but all that happens is the fork becomes severely bent inwards and causes the rotor to be out of align.

Its like this gap is killing the entire thing. (Up close: https://i.imgur.com/91CfrS0.jpg)

[​IMG]

11. firebane

firebane Active Member

So I went back up and put about a 1/8" spacer between the punch and the fork leg and things seemed to line up better to almost good. If I pull out that spacer though things get out of whack again... so maybe the retainer ring for the speedometer does do something important?

Either way going to order that piece and see if that helps.

12. firebane

firebane Active Member

Well found the spacer and put it in and unfortunately did not. It still seems that I'm not able to get this correctly to tighten up without the rotor being out of whack

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It shouldn't be able to move easily if the bearings are seated correctly. It gets held semi-firmly between the inner bearing races. It should rotate easily, but not move otherwise.

14. firebane

firebane Active Member

It isn't THAT easy.. just not to a point where you really have to force it.

Here is more pictures from the right and left side after the nut has been snugged up but not torqued. You can see how the right side aligns perfectly but the left side does not.

Maybe on this bike the axle should be fed from right to left instead of left to right? This is a Canadian Seca after all.

Right side spacer:
    [​IMG]

Right Side Caliper:
    [​IMG]

Left Side Speedo:
    [​IMG]

Left Side Caliper:
    [​IMG]

15. Toomanybikes

Ok your almost there. Undo the pinch bolt on left side and move the fork over until the gap is equal on the rotor.

16. firebane

firebane Active Member

My understanding is the pinch bolts are done last. Right now they are loose.

Here is how I understand it works.
    1.Insert axle (including spacers)
    2. Torque axle nut to 75ft/lbs
    3. Torque pinch bolts.

Are you saying that is not correct? Because if I tighten the left pinch bolt before doing the axle nut I can get it to work.

Once I have tightened the axle nut there is no way for the fork leg to be moved at all as the axle is sitting completely against the speedometer hub.

The only other thing that I'm going to try is putting the fender on before doing any of the tightening and maybe that will hold the forks from doing this.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  17. firebane

firebane Active Member

18. Toomanybikes

The fork will move a little bit with regards to speedo drive slot has about 1/4” of overlap with the lug on the fork. And the hole in the end of the axle is fully exposed.
    3and 2 are part of the total length of space between the bearings. The fork should move with the pinch bolt loose. It may require a bit of leverage to do that.

Attached Files:

19. firebane

firebane Active Member

@Toomanybikes looking at your pictures you have FAR less gap at the speedo to fork than I do. Your gap is at least half of mine...

When everything is snugged up on my bike the fat end of the axle is being pushed against the speedometer hub.

Looks like I'll be pulling the bearings out and looking at things again to see if something isn't sitting or working properly.

20. firebane

firebane Active Member

Well pulled the bearings... checked the bearings... proper size... re-installed bearings and re-snugged down. Absolutely zero change.

The only way I can get anything to line up is by using a wrench for my grinder on the outside of the fork.

If I pull the spacer out then everything is instantly out of align. So this tells me that something has too much gap somewhere and is causing excessive pull on the left leg.

Would someone be willing to measure the length of the spacer for the right side for me?

Or do I just do it this way then tighten the pinch bolts down and call it done?

Spacing:
    [​IMG]

Spacer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018