1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

FS: XJ700n Exeter NH

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by pygmy_goat_, May 21, 2018.

1. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

Ladies and Gents,

I posted this last year but I still have it. Since it's spring, I figure the timing is better. I also have the thing running now and would like to get it gone.

Sadly the time has come for me to part with my XJ700. I have had this bike for about 12 years, it was my first real bike, and I've had some grand adventures on it. However, I simply have too many projects and with little kids, I'm never realistically going to finish it in the next few years. I have it up on Craigslist but I would much rather sell to someone from this forum, someone who knows the bike and what to look for etc. To see pictures: https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-xj700-maxim-xj700n/6594819502.html

The bike is in generally good shape but rough around the edges. I have done a lot of the big mechanical items on the bike, which all take time and money, but don't add to the appearance. It's still a project bike.

I have done the following:
    POR-ed the inside of the gas tank (and no, 12 year later, I have never seen a sign of any of the material ever coming off).
    Replaced the fork seals with the fancy red ones.
    New fork bushings too.
    Polished upper stanchions in the seal area.
    Replaced rear drive unit with a new (used) one due to PO's omission of the critical spacer.
    Replaced rear drum brake shoes.
    Replaced front brake lines with braided stainless.
    Checked all electric circuits on the bike, cleaned them, checked under load for low resistance (voltage drop), and packed them with dielectric grease.
    Removed, disassembled, cleaned, and re-lubed starter motor with the correct moly grease.
    Checked alternator brushes.
    Repaired heat damage to wiring harness at diode leads.
    Repaired low fuel sensor.

More recently---these were done in the past year and so they literally have 0 miles on them:
    Checked and re-shimmed valves
    Complete rebuild of carbs using chacal's kits (starter circuit, throttle shaft air seals, float needles, bowl gaskets, yadda yadda).
    Fixed leaky front tire bead by polishing the whole internal rim surface (tires installed by pros at local BMW dealer)
    Rebuilt petcock with chacal kit (original with vacuum actuation).
    Rebuilt ignition lock cylinder
    Disassembled, cleaned, polished and dielectric greased left and ride side hand switches (signals, start button, etc.)
    Checked and fixed all the ignition wires and caps
    Set float levels on the bench following the book procedure

That's all I can think of. It's not much to look at but I have tried to take care of the major items. I'm sad to see it go, but honestly I can't figure out how to spend any time with it. I like my kids too much.

Comes with (negotiably):
    Extra battery
    Battery tender jr.
    Extra coils from ebay
    Extra engine side covers (aluminum crank end covers for the ignition sensor and the oil pump side)
    Busted up speedo that might have some good bits (bezel, glass, whatever)
    Random turn signals and stuff
    Trunk bag (paid $200)
    Joe Rocket touring jacket (paid $200)
    I think I have one unobtainium plastic side cover
    New front brake pads
    Probably a few other things I can't think of

Actual mileage unknown. I have ridden maybe 6,000 miles on it (including from Albuquerque to Boston...that was something). It had really good compression last time I measured it. Runs well when it's together, pulls hard. It will need float height setting and carb sync as well as idle mixture setting and then I would think it would be ready to ride. Doesn't have a speedo, if that's important in your state. Jumpy tach, which may be sorted out with a new coil or spark plug wire.

I'm not exactly getting out of the hobby, it's just my only motorcycle, so I won't really need any of the junk if I sell it. I'm open to discussion on the price. Obviously I have a bit of coin in it. I'm looking for $1500.

2. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Member

I'm also in NH (between Keene and Nashua) and am finishing mine ('86 XJ700n) as we speaking, looks like you've done a ton of work and I'd totally buy it if I didn't already have one!

3. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

Thanks Mjolnir. Yes lots of stuff done...more is needed of course, it's still somewhat of a project but it should be done in many ways.

Price drop to $1300. Or message me and we can discuss it. Think of all those parts you'd be buying if you get one that hasn't had brakes, brake lines, wiring, forks, etc. etc. etc. etc. done!

Mjolnir likes this.
  4. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

Your CL posting has expired. Might want to re-post for the photos.

5. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

Bump.

And new Craigslist link. I have been dropping the price, but even the parts are probably worth $1k. :) Love to see it gone to a good home.

Cheers, people!

nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-xj700-maxim-xj700n/6675773421.html

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  8. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

9. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member