1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel Feeding Help

Discussion in 'Test Zone' started by maximaaaaa, Sep 16, 2019.

1. maximaaaaa

maximaaaaa New Member

So I took the carbs out of my 1982 XJ550 last night and wow. They were full of water, rust, and grit. :(

I have all the small pieces drowned in vinegar as well as the carb bodies and the rack. I elected to leave them all together as the butterfly valves and surrounding pieces look clean and operate smoothly. I do not want to get that deep into it.

After seeing all that I am shocked how well this bike was running, can't wait to see what she's got after its operating 100%.

So anyways, I was looking to replace the beat up fuel lines and came across a post by polock recommending the linked for a fuel line

I noticed the fuel filter wasn't filling up all the way so somewhere in my line or petcock the fuel is being restricted. I'm going to swap it entirely.

Will this type of line do me any good?

I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a line for the side of the petcock that goes the other way? I think its the vac line , only air goes through it. I know its a different size but I can't figure out which.

Another question, is there any downside to using 2 inline fuel filters?

Also I can't seem to find the parts for a Mikuni carb, all the pieces look like a quick polishing could get them back into order but I don't want to crack these carbs open again for a while. Anyone know a source for this?

ANY advice is greatly appreciated, have a good day and stay safe fellas.;)

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

nope, it's just a bubble it won't stop fuel forget about it, it'll take care of itself.
    i just tell the guy at the car parts store i want some rubber vacuum line and he always gets me the right stuff. or ask him to show you what he has

maximaaaaa likes this.
  3. maximaaaaa

maximaaaaa New Member

Yeah, I'll probably take the line I have and ask for the same size, good idea.

2 fuel filters, yes or no?

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

No. One filter with a sintered-bronze element.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

? maybe not