1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel Filler Cap Woes...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Roadrunner, Oct 7, 2010.

  1. Roadrunner

    Roadrunner New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    I'm restoring a low mileage '96 XJ600 (Seca II) that sat for 10 years. Carb rebuild is going okay now that I've identified them as Mikuni BDS26s. Tank 'exorcism' is in the game plan this week. I've bought a tank cleaning, de-rusting, etching, coating "kit" from Kreem and have high hopes for it. Likewise I think de-sludging the petcock and fuel pump are doable.

    My main problem now is the fuel filler cap, which looked fine from the outside but inside portion was a big blob of rust and corrosion.

    So, like everything else, I took it all apart, cleaned everything with WD40, carb cleaner, compressed air. Only to find . . . there is no tutorial or illustration in any books I can find that shows how everything goes back together! I have a Clymer manual as well as Yamaha Factory Service Manual for this bike and neither one mentions the cap at all, not even how to remove it properly (one bolt inside in addition to the 4 others).

    Actually, I can probably get it together again okay — despite there being a lot of little friggin springs and parts. But more importantly, I have also found that I need to replace a part. Not sure what it's called, but it's the part inside that has the rubber 'boot' bonded to the metal part. Mine has rusted so much the bond was broken and anyway the rubber part has rotted.

    Any ideas?

    I have spent a long time searching around the net for anything on rebuilding the fuel filler and so far, zilch. However, I have discovered that Yamaha used this cap for multiple models, so there seem to be lots of them out there. The renewed plan is to get a cheap one on eBay or somewhere to use as a guide for getting mine back together properly — but I'm still up against the same problem of that broken rubber part. Is there anyplace you guys know to source stuff like that (neither ronayers or bikebandit show filler cap parts — just the complete assembly)? I'd hate to have to buy a completely new cap assembly for $140 just to make sure I get a tight seal.

    Thanks in advance again for any thoughts!
     
  2. MN-Maxims

    MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    114
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Saint Paul, MN
    Did you try Len?

    PM our XJ parts guy "chacal" and he will be able to help or at least steer you in the right direction.
     

Share This Page