1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gas Tank Question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SLKid, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. SLKid

    SLKid Active Member

    Messages:
    1,471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Troy, Va (Charlottesville)
    Is your cap for the gastank supoosed to be air-tight? I pulled it out of the shed yesterday when I was doing some polishing on Maxine and she(The gas tank, not maxine) rolled over a bit. Gas started leaking from the right side of the cap, not a lot, but enough to show that its not completely air-tight. Is there supposed to be an O-ring there to seal it??
    -SLKid
     
  2. PainterD

    PainterD Active Member

    Messages:
    2,649
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    I believe the gas caps are vented, so yes they will leak. Don't over fill the bike on a warm day!!!
    I ran down to the local gas station last year to fill the bike. It was a warm day and the gas coming out of the pump is stored under ground, so it's alot cooler. I always fill mine to just below the neck of the tank. I ride it home and park it in the shop, where it's fairly warm. I come back out a half hour later and the gas is running down the side of the tank!! YIKES. So the gas expanded enough to come out of the vented cap.
    Now I never fill it all the way to the neck if I'm not planning on riding very far. Just a thought.
     
  3. alkasmeltzer

    alkasmeltzer Member

    Messages:
    256
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Lincoln, NE
    There is a gasket under the cap.. It does notmake the cap air tight, though. If you had a butt load of fuel running out, you may want to check this out to see if it is bad.

    See item #22 in this IPB.

    #22) SKU: 4X7-24612-00-00 GASKET, CAP 1

    PM Chacal to see if he has it in stock. Also available from dealer, but I'd bet you Chcal is cheaper.
     

    Attached Files:

    • 0030.jpg
      0030.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
      1,147
  4. SLKid

    SLKid Active Member

    Messages:
    1,471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Troy, Va (Charlottesville)
    Naw, just a little fuel. I was just curious if it suposed to be air tight! Cool
     
  5. bill

    bill Active Member

    Messages:
    2,813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Gravity fed so there has to be a vent or it won't flow. If it gets clogged yuo can see some strange fuel issues.
     

Share This Page