1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gasoline level Sensor for Seca Turbo

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Masterx, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Masterx

Masterx Member

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to correct the gasoline sensor an '82 Seca Turbo 650 so that it gives me an accurate reading on the dashboard. I've glanced around and haven't found anything. If anyone has an answer or could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there is a thread and link to creating an led indicator that runs off of the tank sensor.
    it is in led conversions ...Looking

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

here is the wiring diagram and spec sheets
    wp0806158e_06.png

Attached Files:

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The issue is the way the stock sending unit works, not the readout (but making a readout will allow you to correct for the innacuracy of the sending unit). All sending units taht rely on a rotary float and wiper will be somewhat inaccurate due to the relationship between the gas falling linearly, and the float moving in an arc. You can correct for the issue in two ways; bending the float arm so that it is closer to being accurate (messy, requires multiple attempts, and still is only a estimate of the actual fuel level), or building that display.

In either case the sending unit is incapable of telling you exactly when you are entirely out of fuel, until you are entirely out of fuel. My gauge is pretty accurate down to 1/4 tank, at which point I will have already needed to switch to reserve, and am nearing the point were the low fuel warning light will come on. When that light comes on I have about 3 miles of useable fuel left in the tank. My genral rule of thumb is to use the odometer to plan for fuel stops, and make a stop shortly after switching to reserve. The fuel gauge is just another visual reminder to keep me from needing to use my spare fuel bottle (and to let me eek out every bit of my fuel range when I need to)

XJ550H and chacal like this.
  5. Masterx

Masterx Member

Thanks! I was planning on using the odometer for planned gas stops. My issue was that sometimes my sensor would drop down saying I needed fuel then come back up saying I had 3/4 of a tank left, which made that problematic. I recently found out I had a fuel pump issue, so having that taken care of I am curious what my actual MPG is for planning my stops.

What is your seca getting? Do the turbo models burn through gas quicker?

6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Being addicted to the pull in the powerband range will have you burning through more petrol. ;)

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I generally can get between 38 and 50 MPG depending on how much fun I want to have, and which way the wind is blowing.
    If the fuel lindicator is suddenly dropping, and then recovering, that indicates an intermittent short or a loose plug.

8. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I would second the wiring or the connector, as the connector is under the seat and I know I have to unplug mine frequently when accessing the air filter, carbs, or really any time I need to lift the tank. As for functioning, I typically get through about 60 miles on 4 bars, then quickly drop from there. At about 120,-130 it's saying empty and it's about time to hit the reserve. I also put a fuel pressure sensor, so if I see the pressure start dropping, I know the pump is sucking air and it's time to switch to reserve (before the engine even starts bogging).

My turbo gets around 42 MPG, which isn't bad, but then again, you have to run PREMIUM :eek: (unlike a lot of NA heads on here who think higher octane is "spoiling" the bike, our turbos need it to boost)

Turbo83 likes this.
  9. Turbo83

Turbo83 New Member

Not only Premium fuel, but I run the Non-Oxygenated to save on carb rebuilds. The highest octane I can easily get in Minnesota is 91. I then boost the octane to about 94. The bike runs cooler, mileage increases as well as elimnates pinging. Finding good octane boost is the problem now. PJ1 had a great product years ago ...you could boost to 95 Octane with out breaking the bank. Turbos should be running at 95 octane...huge power gains!

10. Turbo83

Turbo83 New Member

I disconnected my gas gauge years ago. The constantly flashing red light always drove me crazy. I just pull over at 120-140 miles and top her off.