1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Going to see an 82 Maxim 750 any thoughts

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Uxbridge Brule, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Hi getting back into street riding after a few year kicking around in the dirt on a WR250. I had a 84 650 Maxim back in the late 80's, loved that bike. I'm going to see a 82 750 with new tires, breaks, certified and 36,000 km's on the clock for $1500 on Sunday. Any thoughts on what to look for the seller say it was his every day ride and has "upgraded" to a Harley so the Maxim is for sale.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Listen for the starter clutch to sound like it's slipping when you go to start it (this can happen with the engine either hot or cold). If it does that won't kill the deal, but I'd offer quite a bit less, because if it needs repair the cases have to be split.
    Other than that, just look for the usual used-motorcycle things.

3. Uxbridge Brule

Thanks didn't think to listen for that exactly one more thing on the list I'm making

4. Uxbridge Brule

Well it's mine!! I pick it up next week with the certification papers, it sounds good and just needs some cosmetics. Tires brakes and all wires looked good can't wait to get it into the home garage and start to do some polishing.

k-moe likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's a good idea to go-through everything thoroughly before you make it a daily rider (or even a sometimes rider).

Read This First

It may very well be perfect, but I'm not often fond of having my life depend on someone else's work.

6. Uxbridge Brule

Trying to read through all the info thanks for the link. I get the bike Saturday and have to make space in the garage before that, then onto to a partial tear down tires, brakes and suspension all looked good but I will have a closer look at home. Charging system and full fluid change is also on the list. Will keep updated should I use this thread or start another one in a different section?