1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Got a new to me bike

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by saftie, Feb 18, 2019.

1. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Haven't worked on bikes in about a year. Bought a pickup one year ago that needed my attention. Next was a new job etc.

Now that my truck is done, I decided to start focusing on bikes again. I still have plenty of projects around, but I just couldn't pass up this deal. A 94 zx600 e with only 7700 miles and entirely complete. Picked up for $750.
    Well, the mud guard is chopped but I ordered a replacement today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course it's not running, but where would be the fun if I bought a runner.
    I sold my ongoing fzr project to make room for this. Once it's done, I'll most likely keep it. Just way too cool...

Haven't had much time to look into it since I bought it a week ago. It cranks but doesn't seem to get fuel. I'm thinking fuel pump, relay or maybe a fuse that I haven't been able to find without taking fairings off. Tires are shot but new ones are already on their way, so are new and upgraded fork springs.
    Last issue is that, according to previous owner, the second gear slips back into neutral under load.

Anywho, nice little project that can be done on weekends without requiring too much time.

Just wanted to share.

Gabor

2. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Well you will get noticed riding that bike. Sorry to see the FZR go.

Tony

3. saftie

Hey Tony,
    Yes, my fzr was an awesome bike but it's been sitting in pieces for almost a year now bc I just didn't get to it. I did get some good money for it though.
    Two months ago someone just handed me his 98 CBR900RR including title for free. He was way over his head into that project. So if I feel like doing a bike like the fzr again, I already have a great platform just sitting there :)

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Congrads on a nice looking bike. A little worried about the second gear slip, but if you like working on bikes well there you have it. For that price and the way she looks how could you pass that up?

5. saftie

Thanks. Yes, not a single scratch or dent. Only cracks are on left tail fairing, but still in one piece and not noticeable from 6 feet away.
    The second gear issue apparently is a known issue with plenty of how-to documentation.
    Not a huge deal, just very time consuming.
    But first get her running right, do the super soft front forks, tires and general tune up. Transmission thing can wait until it's warm outside.
    Funny thing is that I already have someone who might be interested in buying once it's fixed. We'll see if I want to give her up then.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You should be able to test that fuel pump easy enough, but that still has carbs and no throttle bodies I think? I would guess it will be a easy fix. We had -15 this morning, so not thinking of riding yet....I am still waiting on two shims for the Seca...

Let us know what you find out.

7. saftie

Will do.
    Already have plenty of experience from fuel pump and relay issue on my FZR so it should'nt take too long to figure it out.
    And yes, still carbs.
    I'll hook up an external tank straight to carbs while pump is out and see what happens.
    If all goes well this will happen on Sunday.

8. saftie

Spent one hour trying to figure out how to remove the fairings. Can't believe I was not able to do it and am now reading the manual.

Saw a few metal flakes in oil. Hmmm.

Pulling all fairings tomorrow as well as tank and wheels. Have new tires and wheels bearings waiting to be installed. I will also try to get it started and see what's up with the fuel pump. Got new oil, air filter as well as spark plugs that go in tomorrow.
    I have new and upgraded fork springs (racetec) that will go in when the front wheel is off.

Last but not least i got a replacement for the chopped rear fender. With that, the bike is fully back to stock.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You have to love all those little hex screws and all the copper with rubber grommets all over the place. When I put HIDS on my ZX14 taking that all off for the first time was no joke. So I totally understand going to the manual to do it. Putting it back together was more like tab A fits in tab B and then line up the 6 + cowling screws...Have fun.

That is still a really clean looking bike. No worries about the flakes as long as there is not lots and lots of them. You never know what the PO did.

10. saftie

After consulting the manual, removing the rest of the fairing was a breeze. Just crazy that everything has to come off just to remove the side fairings. I did find at least three screws that had red thread lock on them. No wonder I had a difficult time getting them removed.
    Bike looks really clean under all the plastic, even the foam inlays look good. Wiring is intact too. Big relief.

Franz likes this.
  11. saftie

Well, pulled everything, checked pump and relay. Both work.
    Hooked up external fuel tank straight to carbs.
    I have spark and fuel in carb bowls. Bike cranks but still won't start.
    A bit at a loss now, but unless there is a weird safety feature that I am not aware of, the only thing I can think of is carbs. Unless something is terribly wrong inside the engine.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

As far as the weird the only thing I can think of is the Tip sensor. I think most the the newer bikes have a tip sensor to turn off the fuel pump when and if the bike goes on it's side while running. You have already bypassed that.

Compression test, leak down test, take a good look inside each chamber if you can and see if all the pistons are in good shape. I would guess the valves have never been attended too, so that could be a issue with hard starts.

I think you are on the money with the carbs, spray some starter fluid in them as you are cranking and see if she fires. If she does, pull the carbs and run through them. If I remember right, pulling the carbs on the more modern bikes is MUCH easier than the XJ bikes or bikes from the 80's in general.

13. saftie

Pump works. When I cranked it remaining fuel shot out. So I say no to tip sensor. And yes, i bypassed it anyway.

Bike has 7700 miles, valves would be too early, no?
    I will check the compression next, then pull carbs (after trying with starter fluid). Engine is not sized, I can turn rear wheel with some effort. So I'd almost say compression is good, but will measure.

I feel like this is going to be something stupid. I was told bike ran last fall. Carbs must be really effed up not to let any gas to engine.

Anyway, really appreciate the suggestions. I will try all of what you said and see what happens.
    Hopefully I find another hour or two today

14. saftie

Question: choke bypasses the idle adjuster screw, correct?
    I had someone play with the idle adjuster screw when I brought the bike home. Don't think that's it but you never know.

15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes it should, running with choke on and carbs clean should run the bike even if the idle screw is backed off. I little throttle play will also cheat the idle screw too. Not loose throttle but giving it a little twist as you try to start the bike.

16. saftie

Bike fires on starter fluid.
    Will remove carbs.
    One concern though:
    Have a nasty and loud metallic ticking. It stops when higher idle but I'm not liking it.

17. saftie

You will not believe what I found when I pulled the carbs....

[​IMG]

18. saftie

Close up

[​IMG]

I guess that explains that awful sound...

Now I'm scared of what else I might find.

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

That would have to be a first! OMG!!! So are those carbs set at a 45 degree going into the cylinders? So that gravity was not helping and it was hitting the valve? At least it was so big that it didn't hurt anything and was just making a noise (I hope).

I would pull the plugs and get a good light down each cylinder and take a good hard look. Lets hope that is the one and only things you find on that really nice looking bike.

As I was pulling snow off the pole shed I remembered you said some of the screws on the body panels had red lock tight. I know that depending on the area of that screw it will have vibration and some my need blue when they go back in. I seem to recall after my engine work on my ZX14 that one or two of the screws backed out. I put blue on all of them after that.

20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Clip inside the carbs, hope that is all it's a nice bike.