1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

hard shifting... things to check?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by turpentyne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

As I wind down going through carburetors, brakes and such on limited spare time, I'm starting to think about the next issue I probably need to tackle on this XJ750J, but haven't even thought about it since I took it for a test ride and bought it, several months back.

I recall it seemed to take a bit of effort to shift between gears. Unfortunately, so many months later, I can't remember which gears, but I vaguely recall 2nd gear being the hardest. I believe the clutch did just fine--it was the shifter itself that seemed tough.

I know there's a return spring in there I can probably check to be sure it's ok, and i might adjust (or replace) the clutch cable. But, other than that, what's a good plan-of-action/process of elimination to get this bike to shifting like it should?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I apologise for not noticing earlier how many threads you have. It's really best to keep to one for the bike, so we can make sure that we don't miss anything (almost everything is realted to something else).

Were you turning the rear wheel when trying to shift? The gears are always in mesh, but the dogs aren't. If the gears aren't spinning the dogs can't align to allow shifting through all of the gears.

3. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Ah!! Sorry about that. I’ll try to stick to a single thread after this.

The rear wheel was definitely in motion. I was riding down a side street testing the bike.

I’m getting a little nervous about it possibly being plastic bits in the engine. Not fond of the idea of plulling and splitting the engine

4. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Well don't panic, yet...start with the simple things....oil change, clutch adjustment....

if all else fails, i believe you can remove the shifter side case, and there is actually an 'inspection' hole you can view the shifter forks/drums through...with a GOOD led light, might be able to see if there's any noticeable 'debris' in there :(

SpearChucker and k-moe like this.
  5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

You would have to drain the oil , pull exhaust ( makes it easier to get to bolts ) drop oil sump check for chunks, if you do then you know what needs done . If your bike was a Seca 750 there is an adjustment rod on the shift lever, dont believe there is one on the Maxim.

6. k-moe

If there are plastic chunks in the transmission then you'll want to split the cases this winter. The alternator chain guide is all that keeps the alternator chain from chewing up a very expensive oil jet, and eventually making a hole in the lower case.

emergency_guidectomy

Don't panic yet though. It could just be a broken shift pawl spring.

7. k-moe

Or just put a blanket down and lay the bike on her right side. The oil pan does not need to be removed to check.

8. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Oh... I'm in nasty ol' Phoenix. We have reverse winter. Nobody rides from now until late August... so, this is actually the right time of year for me to tackle that if I have to.

Sounds to me like, if it is just one of the three springs or the clutch cable, I should just go ahead and get prepared for that eventual annoyance anyway.

I can't lay her down right now. She's up on the stand for other fun fixes.

...why do I suddenly have this stupid urge to say "that's what she said"?

9. k-moe

If you do end up replacing the alternator chain guide, rebuild the starter clutch too.

Also, I recommend using Locktite 515 or 518 to seal the cases instead of Yamabond or Threebond. The Locktite is much easier to work with.

Also, also, be really careful when removing the bolts that hold the alternator chain guide. They are held in with Yamabond, and don't much care to come out (and will snap off). A bit of heat helps.

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Before pulling the lever and cover away, I checked the shifting by hand. First, neutral and 2nd seemed find by hand. I think third too. Maybe because it's not under any load. I didn't check 4th or 5th. (back wheel's off the ground, but I didn't think to spin it)

Now I've pulled the cover off, and the springs all seem fine - none broken off. It's pretty clean in there.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

First question...I added an arrow to the pic below. Is this the inspection hole that was mentioned, where I look for plastic bits? I didn't see anything in there -- so that's promissing. No sludge or anything, in fact it's pretty clean inside.
    [​IMG]

On a side note, I was going to put the lever back on and push through the gears with the cover off and see if anything was binding... but I can't until I know where a certain piece goes. When I pulled the cover off, this little guy fell to the ground, and I can't find it in the manuals. Maybe something to do with the kickstand's safety button/switch:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  11. k-moe

Your red arrow does point to the inspection hole.

I think that little black thing is a retaining clip for the wiring. It goes under one of the bolts on the outside of the cover.

12. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Ah, yes... I was smart enough to take photos first, and I can see it in the pic, now. It goes under the bottom-left hex bolt, and holds the wiring up in place.

k-moe likes this.
  13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

now that you've been in there maybe expand on this
    one of my first thoughts about a 750 max was, it shifts like a dump truck. the extra linkage in there doesn't help and makes it sloppy.
    grease the pivot and adjust the arms to as close to 90 as possible.
    it'll never be a 125 mx