1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hello from Oregon!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by StarGeneral, Jul 2, 2020.

1. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Just placed my second, and final order with Chacal. I should have all the parts I need coming or here at this point. Powder coaters called today and the frame is ready. Going to go pick that up this weekend. I've started making a checklist of the order I'll need to do things in as I put them back on the bike. Man, it seems overwhelming when you list it all out! I'll just have to work through things one at a time.

I'm still searching for a good guide on rebuilding the Master Cylinder for this bike. I have the Haynes manual but It'd be awesome to have a thread to look at as well!

I just got promoted at work and picked up a second job on Tuesdays to help fund the restoration on this bike and my other project car. I decided to spare no expense and bought the performance rebuild kit for the forks, the steel brake lines, and the rebuild kits for the anti-dives. Hopefully it pays off in the long run!

2. StarGeneral

Was working on getting the calipers apart for rebuilding once parts arrived and noticed one caliper had an "ear" completely broken off on the casing. Brake pads tell a story that it has been like that for some time as the outer pad on that caliper looked brand new, but the inner was running against the backing plate. I need to measure the disc thickness later.
    I have a pair of rebuoldable calipers coming from eBay soon so I'm skipping to working on the Master Cylinder for now.

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I have six sets of calipers could have sent you one for cost of shipping.

StarGeneral and Franz like this.
  4. StarGeneral

Hey, I appreciate that. Honestly I didn't think about asking here until I had already gone and purchased em. I'll keep this in mind for anything else though :D

5. StarGeneral

Today I'm going to try and get my ultrasonic cleaner going and use it on the brake master cylinder since there is a bit of gunk inside. What do you all recommend for a solution? I'm leaning towards a 50/50 of simple green and tap water for both the MC and the Carbs (down the road), but curious what you've all found to work best. I know the carbs need to be squeaky clean.

6. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder Member

I used a combination of brake cleaner and a brass brush on the end of my dremel (and a pair of safety goggles!) which got everything looking brand new, on the master cylinder.

On the carbs, i spent far too many hours sitting there with compressed air, carb cleaner, a toothbrush, and microfiber cloth.

StarGeneral likes this.
  7. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I fill my sonic cleaner with water and put my part to be cleaned in jar filled with gasoline and put the lid on. Works well on greasy parts.

8. StarGeneral

I've been making steady progress since last post. Everything came back from the powdercoaters and I've completed the rebuild for the master cylinder, brake calipers, anti dives, and fork tubes. This is an updated list of where I stand:

Rebuild Fork tubes - Complete
    Rebuild Anti-dives - Complete
    Rebuild Brake Calipers - Complete
    Rebuild Master Cylinder - Complete

Drain Final drive and de-mount rear wheel - Complete
    Re-assemble frame (kickstand, center stand)
    Install new race and bearing in swing-arm - WIP
    Mount swingarm
    Install new race and bearings in steering head - WIP
    Mount steering head
    Replace Front wheel bearings - WIP
    Replace Rear wheel bearings - WIP
    Assemble rear brakes
    Re-mount rear wheel and final drive
    Re-mount front fork tubes + front wheel
    Re-mount handlebars
    Assemble front brakes (Calipers, brake lines, master cylinder)
    Bleed brakes

Check valve clearances and replace shims (if needed)
    Reseal valve cover
    Detail engine - Complete
    Rebuild Carburetors (TBD)
    Tune Carburetors (TBD)

Repair Airbox.
    Mount battery box and airbox
    Mount Engine
    Mount carburetors
    Mount wiring harness
    Lube control cables

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. Jonathan Farmer

Jonathan Farmer New Member

where about in Oregon are ya? I just picked up an 85 maxim xj700

StarGeneral likes this.
  10. StarGeneral

Based out of the Eugene area!

11. StarGeneral

Today was a beautiful day and I made a lot of progress. Front and rear wheel bearings, steering head bearings, races extracted from the swing arm. I painted the brake discs, the headlight bracket, and the final drive. Got the rear brake shoes installed as well and the center stand.

I did have some issues installing the rear wheel bearing so I'm not considering that completely buttoned up. It almost seems like I mixed up the spacer collars, as if I seat one bearing, the other pops out, and if I seat that one, the other one pops out as well. I see a little bit of space in the axle hole between the spacer collar and drice side bearings, but not enough to account for the difference, so will check on that next weekend.

12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

It sounds like you are making great progress, congrats!

StarGeneral likes this.
  13. StarGeneral

Hey thanks :) yes making very good progress. Slightly ahead of schedule for this week even!
    Ps: still need to get those springs back to you - sorry for the delay I've just been lazy about it. I'm eyeing some other parts in your catalogue so I'll try to get those back to ya this week.

14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

No worries, whenever you get the chance, keep up the good work! Kids, take note: having a well-planned and structured to-do list really helps to keep the project moving along quickly and successfully.

15. StarGeneral

Hey all, looking for some guidance on my final drive unit as I have it off the bike currently and I'm a little concerned. The condition of the wheel and swing arm bearings on this bike don't make me feel super confident in the condition of the bearings and seals within the final drive. The output shaft seal looked ok, but not sure about the input shaft seal and bearings. Is there an easy way to grease any of that or anything that should be checked other than to hop on and see if it "feels" right? I know things felt right with the wheel bearings before I took her apart but they looked like crap once I got them apart.

Thanks!

16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Without special tools (and a fair amount of experience with servicing helical gearboxes) the only thing that should be done is to drain the gear oil and replace with new. All of teh moving parts of the final drive are lubricated with gear oil, and they are generally bulletproof.

Watch for leaks at the seals, and if any show up then we can talk about replacing them.

StarGeneral likes this.
  17. StarGeneral

When I was cleaning the body of the final drive to prepare it for paint, I noted that water collecting on the outer perimeter o the output side was able to drain freely through the "neck" where the input shaft joins with the final drive casing. I know there is supposed to be a seal and an oring there. I let it dry out a bit and shot some wd-40 down the neck in case any water pooled...

Is this an indication the input shaft seals are bad?

18. StarGeneral

Just wanted to share some progress photos as I've moved along.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] \
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. StarGeneral

20. StarGeneral

RIP. Looks like my file host deleted all the pics. Oh well, I'll upload a video compilation when it's put back together. Only a few weekends to go now :)