1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help! Electrical system is dead!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Gypsy, Jun 13, 2020.

  1. Gypsy

    Gypsy New Member

    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Bewdley, Ontario, Canada
    Hi all. I just purchased a 1986 Maxim x 750 last week. It had been in storage for a year or so according to previous owner. Bike was running o.k for a few days, some gas fumes in the oil ( Carb needs cleaning I suspect). Recently, I started the bike it ran for about 30 seconds and I think I heard a slight "pop". Everything died. No lights, no green neutral lamp indicator, nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

    I checked the battery - 12.54 volts.

    Checked the selenoid - 1 side 12.54 volts, other side zero with key off.
    1 side 12.54 volts, other side zero with key on.

    Removed the ground wire and checked the selenoid again-
    1 side 12.54 volts, other side zero with key off.
    1 side 12.54 volts, OTHER SIDE 12.54 VOLTS KEY ON.

    I replaced the ground wire- same deal.

    A few hrs later, I turned the key and voila! All lights are on! Turn the key to start, hit he starter button and... Dead. Everything gone. Again. This has happened twice.

    I really dont know what to next except clean all connections. Or perhaps the TCI is not reading enough voltage from the battery? A new battery?

    Any input would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Little John
     
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. Toomanybikes

    Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,836
    Likes Received:
    816
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Tsawwassen bc
    Contacts in the back of the ignition switch or main fuse holder is failing
     
    XJ550H likes this.
  3. XJ550H

    XJ550H Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,199
    Likes Received:
    3,868
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Great North Woods

Share This Page