1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do I set the float height?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by NACHOMAN, Apr 1, 2006.

1. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Member

I'm about to reassemble my carb bank, and It's been a long time coming....
    I am down to setting the float heights, and putting it all together.
    Basically, I've never worked on Hitachi carbs before but they are very similar to the Mikunis I am familiar with.
    I usually set the floats so the rest level with the carbs upside down, by bending the tab that actuates the needle.
    Is this the correct proceedure on these carbs?
    I've heard a few references to 3mm as a spec on this, but the only way I've ever seen a height like that used is when measuring from the gasket surface to the float.
    There is no way to get 3mm that way.
    If anyone knows the correct proceedure, I would be very greatful.

Nachoman

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Don't have the specs for setting the carbs by float to carb distance. I set mine to the actual fuel level. On the carb bowls there is a nipple at the back. A section of clear tubing can be placed over this and the bowl drain screw opened allowing the fuel to fill until the float valve closes. Hold the tubing against the carb body and measure where the fuel level is in relation to the carb body. Here is a link witha pic that shows the correct level.
    http://www.treasureboards.com/cgi-bin/x ... pl/read/29

Bending the float tang is the correct method to change the level. This method of course is doen with the carbs level and upright with an auxillary source of fuel for filling the carbs.

3. Nick

Nick Member

I adjusted my float levels by making a jig to hold my carbs and supplied fuel via a salvaged fuel tank from a weed wacker.
    Made the jig out of plywood, some 1 x 4, and a piece of shelving bracket. I set it up so the carbs would be on a similar angle as they sit on the bike.
    Checked the levels, made some notes, dismantled and adjusted the floats. Reassembled and checked levels again. A bit of a pain, but a lot easier than pulling them on and off the bike.
    The one photo is part of the only documentation I found on setting the level in the Haynes manual and also in the Yamaha manual.

Attached Files:

4. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Nick have you posted that photo in the gallery somewhere? We really need that for future reference.

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'd love to see the pics of your stand Nick.

6. Nick

Nick Member

BlueMaxim which photo were you refering to?
    Okay Robert, here's a pic of the home made carb stand with dimensional notations added.
    I made it on the fly with scrap on hand.
    I was surprised to find the screw heads of the lower carb bracket dropped into the shelf bracket and no other support was required.
    Added a upright piece of plywood to the left side to support a fuel tank so the float bowls would remain full while checking the levels.
    A scrap of 1 x 2 was screwed to the front edge which seemed to give me the same angle to the carbs as they would be on the bike.

Attached Files:

7. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Sorry Nick, it was the carb with the clear tubing with correct fuel level.

8. Nick

Nick Member

BlueMaxim I put a different picture in my gallery. The picture I posted above has a too low fuel level, it was one of my first level check pics. Although the one I put in my gallery is a bit low, it's acceptable.

9. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Actually I like both pics. Yes this one is a little low. Lower than I thought because of the camera angle. But these pics are very useful for showing a novice how the clear tubing method works.

10. MUTT

MUTT Member

certainly, if the fuel level was higher than posted in the pic on this thread, the bowl gasket would be "wet", meaning below the fuel level.....thats not std prectice for float bowl gaskets......where, then, Should the fuel level be, using this excellant method?? mutt
    PHP:

11. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

It's at the correct level in the pic above.
    3 + or - 1mm below mixing chamber edge.

12. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Member

Thanks for all the help guys.
    I set my float levels today.
    I made a jig by screwing a piece of 1x6 to my workbench so it was more or less plumb.
    I then screwed one of my discarded intake manifolds to the 1x6, which got the carbs more or less level.
    Earlier, I stopped my my local lawnmower shop and got a used fuel tank with a shutoff valve on it.
    It didn't have a cap, so I had to buy a new one.
    Total cost $6.
    I screwed another chunk of 1x6 on top of the jig to hold the tank.
    Worked awesome, altough I think the float setting method is stupid and time consuming.
    There should just be a set float height like every other carb ever produced.
    (shrugs)
    The correct float setting by the way with the aftermarket kits is a little higher than level with the carbs upside down.
    Thanks again.

Nachoman

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

Your picture is worth a thousand words Nick, many thanks, I'm going to build one myself. Nacho, your ingenuity in scrounging parts makes you sound like a person after my own heart. I love my lawnmower fuel cell, it's light, portable, cheap (dang near free, had to get a new cap also!), and it doesn't rust! Good on you, the valve was a great idea.