1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to convert to LED's and still have everything work

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by SQLGuy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rooster53! Man you really have all of the answers!

Also thank you for looking up the LED for me, I wasn't sure what I was even searching for. I definitely agree that 30 lumens would be far too much as a dash indicator light.

It's ironic how bidirectional LEDs are supposed to make the installation simpler. Well I'm in this deep already, I could easily solder an diode into the wire to the neutral light in the gauge. Figure that'd be easier than disassembling the relay. A diode pointing the right way shouldn't hurt anything right? Even if an incandescent is replaced later?

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well, my apologies but I am going to change my mind a bit and err on the side of safety. It is true that the pulsing light is caused by the collapsing field from the starter cutoff relay coil, and replacing the bi-directional LED with a directional LED will cure that problem, or adding the diode. But, when I tested this earlier I had a defective incandescent bulb, and misinterpreted how that bulb would actually suppress the spike from the starter cutoff relay coil. Now, it may not be an issue, but doing the mod with the directional LED or the separate diode eliminates the suppression of the starter cutoff relay coil voltage (300V). What now needs to be considered is the reverse voltage of the diode in the diode block and the consequence of it becoming damaged if it is not properly rated. Odds are, its reverse voltage is well above the 300V and likely Yamaha would have selected a diode knowing that bulbs burn and consequently would subject the diode to these spikes. However, I would not recommend risking damaging that diode, which if shorted would allow the starter to engage with just the side stand up while in gear. Therefore, the best logic here is to keep the incandescent bulb for the neutral light and maintain the integrity of the safety circuit.

And yes, the diode would work fine with the incandescent bulb but would also block the suppression of the starter cutoff relay coil voltage.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I need to look more carefully at the wiring diagram to understand how the diode block plays into all of this. Is the bi-directional LED ok because it is a load going through the circuit.

Just spit-balling here, but what about two diodes and a resistor, one that allows current to flow from the LED bulb to the coil, and another in the opposite direction into a resistive load, to the LED. That way there's extra resistance in one direction <---Probably overkill, I should just put the incandescent back :rolleyes:

EDIT: Or maybe just a diode and a resister in parallel?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  4. Rooster53

Yes the bi-directional LED is dampening the voltage on the starter cutoff relay, that is why you see the light flashing when the clutch switch is opened. That is so little power, LED's are amazingly efficient.

You could put a diode and resistor in parallel with the LED, but you have to go down to about 47 ohms (LED efficiency once again). The drawback here is considering worst case (diode shorts) then the 47 ohm resistor sees a full 12V when the neutral switch is closed, which puts it up around 4 watts. You could also just use the diode, which covers dampening the spike from the starter cutoff relay. However, considering worst case again (diode shorts) then you lose your signal fuse in neutral.

I did de-pot an old scrap diode block in hopes of finding some markings on them and determining their specifications, but no such luck on markings.

I can say with a fairly high assurance that the series diode or directional LED would be OK. I don't have the equipment to test the diode block diodes, but I can verify that it is not clipping and therefore rated higher than the voltages being produced by the starter cutoff relay collapsing field. I see this as the best alternative (next to just keeping the incandescent bulb) as the failure of this diode or the diode block is less severe than the other options worst case.

Sidebar: Never noticed before but the original design defeats the safety circuit if the signal fuse blows or if you just remove it. The current path for the starter cutoff relay and side stand relay is now through the neutral indicator bulb to the various low impedance high side signal circuits. The directional LED bulb will eliminate that anomaly as will the bi-directional LED with a series diode.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  5. fessus

fessus New Member

I have a question about the function on the self-canceling unit.

From the original post under item one:
    What will happen if the momentarily connection between Y/R and B to the canceling unit is permanent? Will that constantly reset the canceling unit?

Asking because I'm changing my controls on the handlebar and the new ones don't have the function of conduction permanently between one pair and momentarily between two others.

6. Rooster53

Yes it will hold the cancelling unit in reset, and the flasher relay will always be enabled so the flashers would have to be manually turned off.

If you are set on going with those controls you will have to give up the auto cancel feature. The best way would be to just remove the auto cancel unit and the flashers will operate in the manual mode.

7. fessus

fessus New Member

Hmm Ok, what I suspected...

I'm not entirely set on changing them, this is sort of the deal breaker..
    And how complex would a circuit be that only sends an impulse even though constantly on?
    Fill up a capacitor? That then blocks DC once loaded? Bad idea?

8. Rooster53

My initial thought is it would get fairly complicated and component heavy. It would be easy to come up with a power up reset, but gets more complex since the flasher relay is in a state of applying and removing power every 1/2 second or so. A simple power reset would then hold the cancel unit in a constant state or reset.

9. fessus

fessus New Member

It probably will.
    Think I came to the same conclusion as you, keep it in constant reset mode, unless indicating R/L using a normally closed relay maybe and steal some other wire to open it once indicating.

10. Tim morris

Tim morris Active Member Premium Member

Put together kits all parts needed and for us dummy's picture s real life and you will sell a lot of them I will gladly pay$$$$ to upgrade my head lights getting old like the bike lol need more light to see and be seen

11. Tim morris

I've been playing with this idea for years but only got to the point where I had to add more resistance there by defeating it's real purpose I've got three bikes I could do it too right away

12. Johnius

Johnius Member

This post is great and I'm installing an LED H4 on my 81 750 SECA. I don't fully understand the note for two reasons: first, I'm not that smart. second, my headlight doesn't function as described. The low beam does not throw a warning at all (which is great), but the high beam does. I understand that the high beam indicator (blue light on dash) is grounded through the low beam (which won't work with the LED). Can I just ground it direct and have it work? Which wire do I ground (don't know how to read the electrical chart)?

13. XJ75082

XJ75082 Member

Nice work along with the write up. Any pics or drawings of the led conversion? Some of us are more visual than over written instructions.

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The photos are gone. Unless SQLguy decides to become active again and get his photos hosted somewhere that allows third party viewing we won't have access to them again. Keep reading the thread, there are supplemental diagrams and photos throughout.

XJ75082 likes this.
  15. CaptNemo

CaptNemo Member

Hey gang,
    Long time member but have been away for awhile. It looks like I have at least the pictures from page one of SQLs post pertaining to the seca turn signals and rear led lights. I could try to post them but it seems this thread has evolved beyond that specific topic so I’m not sure if it would help anyone currently. Let me know if it would help any one and I will do what I can this weekend.

16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You cannot post other people's photos without their permission.

17. CaptNemo

CaptNemo Member

alrighty then

18. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

start a conversation with photo owner he may respond

CaptNemo and k-moe like this.
  19. tj.

tj. Active Member

That's a nice write up...thanks for doing that!
    Cheers.

20. Tim morris