1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to convert to LED's and still have everything work

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by SQLGuy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Billjwilly

Billjwilly New Member

Ok here goes I just installed front and rear led turn signals by just installing an two prong electronic flasher. I just cut the brown and white wire and the brown wire from the factory relay. FYI this was on my 1985 Maxim 700 with 29,000 kil. Also just to let you know my cancelling still works as to most people saying it wouldn’t work.

Attached Files:

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Later model Maxims use a different canceling system. The earlier bikes self-canceling units are driven by the proprietary OEM flasher, and will not work with a standard 2-prong relay.
    Please keep in mind that this thread was written specifically for the '81-'83 Seca 750 and Maxim 750.

The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

Turn Signal Self-Canceller Relay:

NOTE: all XJ700 models and XJ750-X models use a consolidated relay assembly (mounted under and to the rear of the fuel tank, on the wishbone frame triple-tube joint) which combines the turn signal flasher, the turn signal canceller relay unit, and the starter circuit cut-off relay.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  3. Tim morris

Tim morris Active Member Premium Member

Very cool that's great but my bike is a seca 750 81 82 83 and has the computer built into it that registers and tells you whether or not a bulb is burned out and I have to fool that computer or modify that computer so that the headlight and turn signals don't tell it it has a lesser load which makes it thinks it has a blown bulb. And then flashes in my face all the time but great work thanks

k-moe likes this.
  4. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It would certainly take more than just cutting a couple of wires to keep the cancelling unit operational. I assume you wired the new two prong electronic relay to the brown and brown and white wire, which would be appropriate to bypass the consolidated unit to run LED lights. No way doing that is the original cancelling unit going to work; perhaps you could provide a link to the two prong electronic flasher relay that you used and clarification on how it is inserted in the wiring?

5. Tim morris

20180221_143850.jpg 20180221_143850.jpg 20180221_143850.jpg

6. Tim morris

Sorry it's upside down this is the computer I'm talking about

7. k-moe

Lovingly referred to as the ATARI.

Rooster53 likes this.
  8. Billjwilly

Billjwilly New Member

9. Billjwilly

Billjwilly New Member

Attached Files:

10. Billjwilly

Billjwilly New Member

From Amazon and it’s adjustable

Rusty81 likes this.
  11. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

Do you happen to have a pic of the set up? Looking into the same thing myself on a 700. Thanks

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Me neither.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes pictures make all the difference.

Rusty81 likes this.
  14. Juan Ricardo

Juan Ricardo New Member

Having this issue, I converted all to LED, as you see on the video with the engine not running the flashing ( turn signals) works ok, but as soon I turn on the engine all of them goes nuts, flashing faster and the last LEDs on the light are not turning on, any thoughts about it?
    and thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

15. Juan Ricardo

Juan Ricardo New Member

for more info I'm using one of this: Dewhel 1 pc CF-13 CF13 EP34 3 Pin Electronic Flasher Fix 12V 0.02A-20A For LED Turn Signal

16. k-moe

You need 2-pin flasher relay. The third pin on the stock relay is proprietary, and for the auto-cancel function.
    You will also need to add diodes to the dash lamp to prevent voltage from crossing over to th opposite pair of turn signals.

17. Juan Ricardo

Juan Ricardo New Member

Thanks, @k-moe where I can find an electric diagram explaining where and how add the diodes? any link here in the forums? The 3 pin flasher works ok I have the 3rd ping grounded.

18. Rooster53

The diodes are only required when you have a single indicator light, which causes all 4 flashers to blink when either the left or right mode is commanded.

That device uses an internal transistor to enable a 555 timer and it is tied to the output load signal (L). Anytime there is a sufficient load the 555 is enabled and the turn signals will flash. So, I would first double check the ground for the "E" pin and be sure you choose a good point - at the ignition coil mounting bolt is a good spot.

Another consideration is the quality of the 12V powering the device. There is a good chance the ignition coils are inducing voltage into the power line to the CF-13, which would cause the control transistor to switch on and off resetting the 555 and causing the berserk flashing. A .1 uf 100V capacitor from "B" to "E" should cure that if that is the issue.

And one other thought is the load - can you provide a link to the flasher that you are using? The CF-13 is likely to become a bit more unstable if the load is nearing the minimum current spec.

Might be nice to know the year and model of the bike also??

19. Juan Ricardo

Juan Ricardo New Member

Hey, @Rooster53 Thank you man
    The bike is a 1981 XJ550 Maxim, here is the link for the CF-13:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786CX8LP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The ground is connected from E pin to the ignition coil mounting bolt as it shows in the photo.
    I had my thought on this "There is a good chance the ignition coils are inducing voltage into the power line to the CF-13", unfortunately, we don't have a RadioShack here in Manhattan, KS so I can test this today.
    thank you for taking care I appreciated it.
    I will keep posting after I review everything you wrote here

Attached Files:

20. Rooster53

I meant to ask for a link to the actual indicators as I was curious if they specified current / wattage in the link.