1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to convert to LED's and still have everything work

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by SQLGuy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Juan Ricardo

Juan Ricardo New Member

2. Juan Ricardo

Juan Ricardo New Member

Well after waiting for Amazon they, finally deliver the right Capacitor, the blinking is better but it is not the same as when the engine is not running ( still kinda hyper flashing ) and still not lighting the last led in the flasher light, any thoughts?

3. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Try it from the load pin (L) to ground

4. Juan Ricardo

Juan Ricardo New Member

I will this afternoon, this morning I finally got a job interview. Thank you.

5. Juan Ricardo

Juan Ricardo New Member

same, its better but still not the same as when the engine is off, wonder if this is a lack of restive load because I replace the bulbs for LEDs in the gauge cluster, another detail is in the gauge cluster the indicator led blink only when the switch is set to the left side. but not when is on the right side.
    It is a way to measure the voltage with a multimeter on the flasher with or without the engine running? Not a master at this but I can try.
    Thank you so much for expending time helping me.

6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You would really need a scope to evaluate that signal to see if it is false triggering and short cycling, but I don't think there is much doubt since the indicator bulb is also short cycling. One thought is you might try installing a standard incandescent bulb in the front or rear and see if that changes the behavior with a bit more load on the CF-13 flasher. If it helps then maybe just go back to standard incandescent bulbs for the indicator bulbs or try that first if it's an easier option.

All three lamps per side, front flasher, rear flasher, and indicator bulb are in parallel. Therefore, if the indicator lamp is not flashing / illuminating it is either a blown bulb, bad wiring, or the LED you installed is polarized and it is in backwards.

I think the way those LED flashers work is a specialized internal micro controller that will actually work without the flasher relay. In other words anytime they have power applied they are going to sequentially illuminate until power is removed. That means you could theoretically run without a flasher relay, but you would not have an indicator that flashed but instead would just illuminate when signalling left or right. You could try that by installing a jumper at the flasher relay connector from B to L on the main harness.

And then there is punting and trying another LED relay, perhaps one of the 2 pin versions.

7. Juan Ricardo

Juan Ricardo New Member

ok I will try with more load in the CF-13 them I will go with a 2 pin flasher, but I saw videos on youtube the same bike, CF-13, and the led lights working fine. I'm doing something wrong here. I will keep trying. But, weird, it works fine with the engine off.
    Thank you for your time helping me

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 11:43 PM