1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

ignition week xj700n

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Andy Dobkins, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

I stsrt my bike about ever month just to keep every thing oiled was getting ready to rebuild carbs .But today it wouldnt start pulled #1 plug because thought I mite have flooded it. Plug was a little wet not bad but I layed the plug on the block and cranked it over no fire or just enough to see it .So got a new plug put it in plug wire little better fire.So I went to check over plugs #1 and #4 very week fire #2 and #3 seen better. Battery new keep on low amp charger .Any suggestions as to what would make them week wigeing is clean all factory never touched.

2. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Check the voltage at the battery while starting. If it drops below 10 volts their is not enough power to make spark.

3. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Yep. May need new brushes; at least that was my problem.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

And please get out of the habit of just starting it to "keep everything oiled."
    If the engine isn't coming fully up to temp (as in a good 20 minure ride) you're just increasing the amount of water vapor that condenses which leads to acidifying the oil and causing some irreversable damage over the long term.

It's best to winterize the bike, and let it sit until you can go riding regularly again.

Also check the plug gaps, and keep in mind that a TCI spark looks weak compared to a CDI spark.

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

OK here is what I found so far battery voltage read 12.74 cranking read 11.3 votes. test on coils #1 and #4 Primary showed 2.7 ohms . secondary could get nothing 0 on #1 or #4 spark at plug sometimes will fire just enough to see it in the dark plug cap on #1 read 8.75 ohms and #4 read 7.88 ohms on coil #2 and #3 primary read 3,4 ohms secondary 0 same as 1 and 3 plug caps read #3 6.67 #2 read 7.78 and I cut a 1/4 in off the wires just to make sure got a good connection i cant under stand why i got nothing set meter at 20k for the wires went thru the full scale to see if I could get a reading changed meter wires around on coil wires. could both coils go out at the same time. its been hard to start have to play around with choke and throttle for about 5 mins till it runs right but figured that was the carbs

Beck likes this.
  6. Beck

Beck Member

This sounds similar to what I’ve been going through with mine. I finally stopped playing with the carbs and focusing on spark now. Did you find an answer to yours?

7. Beck

Beck Member

Looks weak how so? Shouldn’t it be a blue spark? Mine are definitely weaker than I expect but I thought that meant I have an issue.

Andy Dobkins likes this.
  8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

This one is blue, XJ750 Seca

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It will be blue, but fainter than you'd expect to see. The TCI delivers a lower current spark at a longer duration, and does so on purpose.

Andy Dobkins and Beck like this.