1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Introduction of myself, a man with a plan

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Possible malfunction, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Possible malfunction

Possible malfunction Member

I've been visiting this site for months and don't see me leaving for a long while, so I made a profile. Figured I'd do a who what and why introduction of me and my bike.
    My name's Cameron, but my friends call me Camo, and my bike's named Badtmilda. It's an 82 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ. Technically I have a form of autism called Asperger's but I never wanted to know what it was because I felt it might limit me as a person because it would put preconceived notions in my head. All I've really noticed is that I do good with logic, suck in social situations, and overshare... If you haven't noticed already, lol. Badtmilda was a dying nearly dead bike that I saved and am breathing new life into.
    The why... In November my mother passed away unexpectedly and I'm not dealing with it very well, so project time. I tend to use physical fulfillment to help me pull myself up emotionally and to be frank this is gonna take time... Both the project and finding closure or whatever you would call it.

I know it's blasphemy to some, but I plan on making some alterations... Mostly cosmetic, but some mechanical. It's not going anywhere as it's my first bike and I love it, so why not give it some character that makes it wholly mine and unique. Definitely will share my experience if it's wanted as I go through this journey, and I'd like to thank you all (friends I hope) in advance for the help.
    I'll probably drive people crazy with questions, but this is a community and from what I've seen it's a nice one and I kind of need that too.

Well, KIMG0028.JPG KIMG0029.JPG this is my bike after I got it running (pretty much had to re redneck all the things the fellow I got it from did wrong) and did a couple minor alterations.... Handle bars and blinkers were broke and it was rusty in a few spots on the tank. So had a few things on hand to "get her by" till I had time and money to work on her.

In closing, I work a full time plus job and have a fair amount of bills, so the restoration and alteration is likely to take at least a year and probably more. I do promise, though, that my other posts won't be near as long.

Praxeus, Stumplifter, wgul and 3 others like this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Asperger's is not a disadvantage, its a differentness.
    Sorry to hear about your mother. I think that's the most difficult of losses, aside from losing a child.

Franz, Stumplifter and Jetfixer like this.
  3. Possible malfunction

Thank you. She was only 57 which is what gets me. Too young for this day in age. I've never been a member of a forum. Are there any protocols I should know so I don't accidentally shoot myself in the foot? I've been looking for a list or rules or that type thing and I've determined I'm either missing it or it's common knowledge that I don't happen to have.

Sorry, found it. If it was a snake it would have bit me. Now time to brush up on etiquette.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

First rule is "the laws of Germany"
    Second rule is "be nice to mommy"
    Third rule is "don't talk to Commies"
    Fourth rule is "eat kosher salamis"

Sorry, couldn't resist a Ramones quote!

My bro has Asperger's too. I call him an ass burger. He claims not to "get" sarcasm, and yet burns me with it every day. He's one of the smartest people I have ever met, and I know me!

Franz, Stumplifter and k-moe like this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

best thing you can do is ask questions any and all questions answered.
    next best thing is to answer questions .....

B Brut likes this.
  6. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Inattentive ADHD says Hi! ;)

And welcome....

Stumplifter likes this.
  7. Possible malfunction

Lol, ok... We'll start the staggered barrage then.
    Have you ever seen big bang theory? Sounds almost exactly like a scene from episode 2. I remember thinking it'd be awful nice if someone'd make me a sarcasm sign. Lol.
    Hello, and I'll say thank you when you get back... (Dry humor)

8. Ketchup

Ketchup Member

Welcome to the party, @Possible malfunction ! This is probably one of the best crews to get aligned with all-round. Sorry to read about your loss - she is in a better place now.

If it were me and this were my thread - I'd turn it into my build thread.

At the time of this post it had not yet been listed, key items seem to be:
    1. http://www.xj4ever.com/downloads.html (information overload hour)
    2. http://www.xj4ever.com/ Chacal/Len quite literally has everything you need
    3. Signature links (k-moe's above)

Ride safe,

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

and add your bike to your Signature line in your profile. 82 Seca XJ750 or XJ750RJ both mean the same thing R= Seca J= 82 how ever you like to ID the bike

I would suggest that when you start the project to start a new thread in the tech forum with your issues. bike in title and an ID of sorts
    "82 Seca XJ750 ( or XJ750RJ) Possible Malfunction" would be a catchy title

10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss and welcome to the family we try to help each other . Don't hesitate to ask questions . At the top of the page is xj4ever chacal sells parts fantastic service and read the overload hour lots of great info. Good luck with your project and keep us up to date on your progress...riding is a good way to forget your troubles and clear your mind.

Franz and Stumplifter like this.
  11. Possible malfunction

Learning already, thank you. I didn't know that. Did I do the signature line right?
    Agreed, and thank you

XJ550H likes this.
  12. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

From the couple of photos you have put in the bike looks to be in fairly good condition, good luck with your new toy / project. You will get a lot of helpful info' here.

13. Possible malfunction

Ok, so I got my Haynes manual and started tearing my bike down. Went to drain the oil and as this is my first bike it might be nothing but it seems odd to me.
    Oil plug and oil filter drained oil colored if a bit dark.
    Middle gear plug drained tan oil?
    I couldn't find anything that would explain it aside from condensation, but it wasn't just a little milky looking. It looked like a McDonald's iced coffee!

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Sounds like condensation. That's not uncommon if a bike has been sitting for a while, particularly in humid and cold conditions. The color is from condensation being mixed with the oil as the gears were turning.
    How was the bike stored, and for how long?
    In the future you can despense with drining oil from the middle gear. It's a hassle to get to, holds barely a cup of oil (that will be diluted into the new oil), and the plug has a tendency to break off.

[Merged threads]
    FYI, it's really helpful to keep all questions about you machine in one thread, so we can keep track of things and give you the best advice posssible as you get her back in shape.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Stumplifter likes this.
  15. Possible malfunction

Okie doke. I'll keep em all in one thread then. I changed the oil when I got it and it's wintering in a garage (unheated)

16. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

Congrats on the new toy. I hope you are able to make it your own successfully.

17. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Ahhh the Tool Master of Brainerd!

Being your first bike, please take a MSF course.

18. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Brainerd is a nice area. I spent a significant number of summer 2 week paid "vacations" at Camp Ripley courtesy of the Army National Guard.

19. Possible malfunction

Thank you, and congrats on your acquisition of your 81 xj650.
    Lol, I shared that with my fiancee and we both got a kick out of it. That's too funny. Not often you hear a song about where you live when it's not a major city.
    Thank you.

20. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

They played my senior prom!

Stumplifter likes this.