1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is their an led replacement bulb for the koito 4438 bulb 12v 50/40w

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by MJS8672, Nov 6, 2016.

1. MJS8672

MJS8672 New Member

Looking for a LED replacement bulb for my 82 XJ550 Maxim. Currently have the Koito 4438 12v 50/40w bulb. Has anyone replaced this bulb yet with an led and is it working better or worse for you?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes there are several can cost as much or more than 100$

I have a china cheapy $4 and will let you know how it works. it is speced to same as standard H4 bulb for brightness but only 12 watts 1 amp draw

have you changed your tail light and plate light to led yet? always on

3. MJS8672

MJS8672 New Member

This 82 xj550 is a total rebuild project for me. But what to have nice bright lights that doesn't tax the bike's electrical system when I'm done. I what to keep the original head light assy. And just replace the bulb with an led replcement, they are expensive, so I was hoping someone had some experience with what to buy and what not to. Thanks. Definitely let me know how it goes with your headlight.

4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

5. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

[​IMG]

Low Beam
    [​IMG]

High Beam
    [​IMG]

6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

For $55 I am impressed so far. Very hefty heatsink body, fits nicely in the bucket. The only annoying aspect is the voltage noise on the bike. It makes the LEDs strobe unless you are in high revs. I am working on a mounting setup for a DC-DC 10A supply regulator to support the headlight circuit. $30 on amazon so less than 100 for the whole kit so far and it is BRIGHT.

NOTE: you will need slightly longer retaining ring screws for this to fit. The OE screws are about 5mm too short due to the thicker rim on the aluminum housing. Fits the mounting ring and bucket just fine (actually it's more shallow than the OE bulb due to the connector on the bulb). The screws are M4.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019