1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Italian Machines

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Franz, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has owned a Laverda Jota I would buy one if I could. What do you think of it?

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Nice bike would love to own one but a bit tall for me seat height is if I recall 32 inches

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes they are high. A friend had a Jota years ago what a great noise it made. Engine was simple too six valves if l remember rightly. His was the 180 crank it was the fastest production bike in its day. Very expensive now Jetfixer.

4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

My brother has one, he doesn't ride it much though - seems a bit of a brute. ATM he has the engine sent away for a 1500 GBP rebuild. The builder mentioned that something (primary drive gear?) had come loose on the crank and chewed up
    some splines - not sure of the full implication of that yet but it's not an unusual problem apparently - Starting price is a bout 10 000 GBP I think. I once owned an Alpina (500 twin)and apart from the lousy chrome-work it wasn't a bad machine - slow
    compared to an XJ550 but better torque at the low end and quite light (in comparison) I recall.

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the Jota was a brute and the fastest production bike in its day l think. I like them but they are too expensive now and my XJ900f is so robust and reliable it won't be going. Be interested to know how your brothers bike engine goes. Slaters in England were Laverda importers.

Jetfixer likes this.
  6. Jetfixer

DUCATI 900 SS is another bike I would love to own

Franz likes this.
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Never tried a Ducati unfortunately but l tried my cousins Aprillia V 1000 and liked the power delivery. I am sure Mike the Bike Hailwood raced the 900SS at the Isle of Mann TT and there is a road based replica of the desmodromic V twin. Red and Green it was with Gold wheels fully faired. Beautiful bike it was.

Jetfixer likes this.
  8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Here it is a beautiful Ducati 900 Hailwood replica. He raced at the Isle of Man not Mann, I hate spelling mistakes lol.

Hailwood Ducati 900.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    SpearChucker likes this.
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I like this one too Jetfixer

1980+Ducati+900SS.jpg

SpearChucker and Jetfixer like this.
  10. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I want to own a 900 bevel-head one day.

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes l would like to try a Ducati l think the power delivery will be great especially as l am used to fours. Yes gear driven cams on those Ducatis.

Jetfixer likes this.
  12. Jetfixer

On the other side of the pond Europe has some cool bikes we rarely see here in the US Laverda,MV Agusta,Ducati, Motor Moroni( think it is French) Apprila even Vespa all are great bikes to own . Singles,twins, triples, 4 cylinder are all fun .

Franz likes this.
  13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the Moto Morini V twins , the Jota 180 and later 120 degree triples were nice Laverdas as were the MV bikes. Then there were the NSU car engined bikes (a bit of an ill handling monster l believe) and the Bennelli Sei which had a six cylinder SOHC engine and three carburettors with six silencers. But l prefer the Laverdas and Ducatis most of all.

14. Jetfixer

Forgot about Benneli 6 cylinder lol

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I would never have bought one, l had a Honda CB 750 K2 which l sold much to my regret.

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Have you tried the 900 l bet it is great through the corners.

17. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I know a guy with a 70's vintage Darmah. I asked him recently if he planned to keep that long-term and he said yes. I'll work on him some more. He has a ton of bikes and can surely part with one... maybe that old BMW R75/5 instead... hmm.

Franz likes this.
  18. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I had the "Mille" version of that bike for several years, old school handling was improved by the Ohlins rear shocks I fitted and the brakes are better than any XJ I have ridden with the right pad compound, 24 litre tank could do about 200 miles between stops, loved it but I just didn't use it enough, they are very expensive if you need any major motor work but nowhere near as temperamental as people seem to think

I also previously had a Darmah which I covered about 50,000km on all over NZ

I'd have a Jota in a heartbeat but they're out of my price bracket

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the engines are expensive to fix. I watched Andy's Motorcycle Obsessions on You Tube about doing the valves on a Ducati. Quite a few bits to be removed before he got to the valve covers but that is part of motorcycling, servicing and fixing bikes yourself. I think he is from New Zealand, he built an XS 1100 Cafe Racer. Jotas and Ducatis are expensive here too mabe I get one one day?

20. Jetfixer

Forgot my wish list Moto Guzzi :D several model are on my list ...but no$$$$ (sorry Brits no pound symbol) but you get my drift , guess I will settle for my favorite bike sitting in corner of my garage XJ750 Seca :)