1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Japanese Import 650 Maxim, '81

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Minimutly, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Had a closer look on my ebay aquisition today, a couple of things jumped out at me.
    The add said the ignition and regulator were removed - they're there. There is a relay under the rank missing though, low down near the mounting bolt.
    The brake and clutch controlls are missing - and so are the footrests, or even any sign of mountings?
    The carbs, cable, and front master cylinder and flexi also missing
    The right hand switch set missing
    It needs a seat and rear hoop
    Fuse "box"
    Battery
    Did I say it was cheap? As in £92.00 cheap
    It has no rust, scrapes, or signs of crashing.

So do I try to get bits from the states, or wait for imported bikes being broken over here?

2. Minimutly

Oops, forgot, carbs missing too, along with throttle grip and cable...

3. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

You can basically order everything from xj4ever, but it'll cost you for all that. Good luck.

4. Minimutly

You're right, plus I'll have to pay import duty on it this side. I think I'll try to get it running first though. I can't see why anyone would strip it, unless of course the engine is goosed.

5. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

thats a lot of parts.The carbs are the main problem.There are lots of them available.I suppose shipping to uk or wherever you are is expensive.members here will have some.

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Many Yamaha parts interchange so XJ550,650,750 the controls might be similar , if handle bars are same size. Note the 550 use different carbs .

7. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Not a lot there then really is there.
    I'd look for a parts bike or slowly start buying things as and when they turn up.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The bolt for the rider footrest mounts are also the bolt for the rear engine mount on each side. Are those bolts there?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  9. Minimutly

Dunno about the rear engine mount bolts, will have a look, pretty sure I'll make some rearsets for it, I can borrow the turbo linkage for now, with a longer rod.
    I wonder if my kawasaki 750 carbs will line up? Just to test run it, as much as anything to check the engine is OK.
    Not so long ago there was loads of xj stuff on ebay, right now there's very little...

10. Minimutly

The log book (title?) turned up today, imported 1996. Strange thing though, the engine number is "not specified", and the number on the engine is just the first three letters, matching the first three on the frame and logbook. I can get the logbook modified, but my question is - why only 3 letters on the engine?

11. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

The engine should also have 6-digit serial number (for a total of 9 digits). Is the engine number missing on the engine, or you're just saying it wasn't written down on the title? I know if varies by location, but in the US, the title goes with the frame, and no one actually tracks the engine.

It sounds like you basically have a cheap parts bike on your hands. At least in the US, there would be little use to try to rehab what's there piece by piece, better to find another parts bike that has everything you're missing for cheap and start from there. If you really want to start with what you've got first, compression test the engine. You don't need carbs to do that, and you can hook any battery, like a jump starter, to the starter motor to make it spin.

12. Minimutly

Why only 3 letters on the engine? Is the question. Its not been ground off, restamped or anything sinister that I can make out. Uk is the same, log book goes with chassis number, so no big deal really.
    Yes I can compression test the engine, even do a leakdown test on it, but it would be good to test it running before deciding the next step. Either way, no rush
    Oh, next question, the original tapered cans look good - are they Ok to keep, or likely to be rotten inside? Can they be stripped?

13. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Some of the Japanese market XJR1200's come with just 3 digits on the cases, all of them 4CC, I had one, might still have somewhere in my garage, so maybe the bike you've got was a Jap market bike imported to the US and then shipped over here.
    Either way, it's nothing to worry about like you say, as long as you know what model you actually have.

14. Minimutly

Things getting clearer thanks to the info on this site, the bike was indeed a japanese modeel - 4L6, 650G, 1980 model.
    The missing rh control is a simple engine shut down and start switch, so should be easy to find and maybe delete the lights switch if needed. The missing relay is the turn cancelling unit.

15. Minimutly

Found some bits - mostly for the wrong model....
    The footpegs are for a seca - they came with a 5 inch bolt attached to each one?
    The rh control swich is from a turbo, and looks to have the wrong connector, my maxim has a 3 terminal and a 4 terminal socket - the turbo switch has 6 terminals of which 5 are used (from memory).
    The rear brake lever is too short and rubs the clutch casing - the "cutout" in the timing case would suggest this is the case.
    And to cap it all I've bought two sets of Mikuni carbs which are from a 600, some uncertainty if they're the right size..

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    k-moe likes this.
  16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The long bolts on your footpegs are the rear engine mounting bolts. It just happens that they also hold the footpegs onto the Seca.

Minimutly likes this.
  17. Minimutly

Abide, thanks for that. Now, without getting this up on the bench, or lying underneath it, the rear mounting looks like one long bolt across the back of the engine - is this fooling me?
    I do need to apologise to some degree, the bike is currently stored in a big shed at work, so I can't pop out to verify this.
    Have spent some time searching ebay for likely answers, I'm not totally impressed by sellers presenting front rh footrests, clearly marked as "lr", with the other - you guessed it "rr"

18. Minimutly

Just spent a couple of hours reading up on the fuelling parts section - now I start to get a picture of the potential cost of rebuilding these things...

19. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

550 and 650 controls interchange 750 controls are different
    650 and 750 have the same carb bodies with different jetting and main jet needle
    http://xjbikes.wikidot.com/carb-specs

20. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the Japaneese model may have on/off switch fot the headlights instead of being controled by a relay which turns the headlight on when motor is spinning or starter