1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Just bought 81’ XJ750 Seca. Electrics stay on.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Wegan, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Wegan

Wegan New Member

Hello fine people,
    This is my first post here, and couldn’t find anything that matched my situation. My bike let’s it’s key in at any angle, and the electrics stay on no matter what, unless you take the battery cable off. Any help?

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum...

I am just guessing here but sounds like the ignition swx is stuck in the "on" position. I think the key is no longer turning the little tumbler in the swx to make or brake contact with the ignition circuit.

Try to use a small screw driver to see if you can mover the swx that way sense the key is not working. You can get new ignition swx from the sponsor of this forum (upper right hand icon on every page) just email them. There are other places too, but make sure you get the right part and a good fit.

Keep us posted as to how the trouble shooting is coming along.

Wegan likes this.
  3. Wegan

Wegan New Member

thanks for the reply, I’ll get right to the order!

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

this link is for cleaning switch you can also use pins in current lock to rekey new lock if you go that way or possibly just switch cylinder if it is nit damaged
    there should be a number on bottom of switch it is the key code write that code down for future use incase you lose your gascap key
    Clean and lube the ignition switch

5. Wegan

Wegan New Member

So I fixed the ignition switch, but to my surprise the bike stays on even without the switch plugged in! Starts and all, when I turn the key to “on” the backlighting of the Atari come on. Maybe a solenoid is stuck? Please help

6. XJ550H

what do you meen by stays on? starter spinning?

7. Wegan

Wegan New Member

No the lights on the Atari and my headlight stay lit no matter what. I think there is someplace the wires are shorting for keep it from turning my console off. Also you can start the bike no matter what even without the key in. Maybe there is a solenoid that is stuck, but I found the continuity weird.

8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Atari back lighting is a separate contact on the ignition switch, so you can say that is working as it is controlling the back lighting (meter lights).

This means the power at the fuse box is not connected correctly or the main harness is shorted within the bundle. Perhaps a new fuse box was installed - note a bussed fuse box needs special consideration to separate the main power?? We don't know the history of the bike so we would just have to guess here. If you post a photo of the fuse box that may help. Or, here is a diagram of how the original was wired that might help you.

upload_2020-8-4_14-30-28.png

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  9. Wegan

Wegan New Member

Here is a pic, I know it’s shitty and nasty, I’ve owned the bike for 5 days haha. Get a new fuse box? Do they sell one for this with modern fuses?

also how would the fuse box create a short? Any test I should do?

Attached Files:

10. Wegan

Wegan New Member

Thanks, see below for pic.

11. XJ550H

you can go with inlie fuse holder for the flat blade fuses or go to auto parts for a fuse box be carful of height of box. inlines may be easier you will need a heavey wire one for main fuse.

12. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

So that fuse box looks right from what can be seen. The only other possibilities is the harness is melted somewhere along the way to the ignition switch shorting the main power to the ignition switch output line. Or, maybe something in the Rect/Reg - try disconnecting that. Also, PO's do get creative, so another possibility is a miswire or added wire somewhere.

You could do some continuity checks, but because of lamps that appear as shorts you really need to be able to remove all the fuses. For example, the best check with all the fuses removed and the battery disconnected would be to ohm from the output side of the main fuse to the input side of the fuse box at any of the 3 common inputs (the 3 brown wires closest to the tank). That should indicate an open until the ignition switch is set to on.

13. Wegan

Wegan New Member

i might just yank it and go for a minimalist wiring, cause I am going for a cafe anyways so it may just make everything go easier. Has anyone done this, how hard is it? I feel pretty good with wiring, used to build a lot of quadcopters. Anyone have a guide, anyone use the motogadget?
    Thanks,

14. XJ550H

2 min wiring diagrams one does not contain run/kill switch eQNlgxq.jpg m1csRY7.jpg

also have a few members who use motogadget