1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

KG Trunk lid

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by PSteele, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. PSteele

    PSteele Member

    Messages:
    344
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Just looking for a suggestion on how to best repair the lid of my old KG trunk. It has cracked around the hinge attachment points and is now moving freely about my shop.

    To prevent a recurrence, installation of some sort of movement limiting device will happen, but to start I need to reattach the hinges to the lid, which is classic but still plastic. As it is my pride and joy, the repair must look reasonably good.
     
  2. PainterD

    PainterD Active Member

    Messages:
    2,649
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    Not completely clear on what you want to accomplish, but if the hinges area is week, I'd use some type of epoxy glue and a steel plate on the backside of the hinge to prevent excess stress to the plastic. That's just me. PD
     
  3. Polock

    Polock Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,751
    Likes Received:
    2,101
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Beaver Falls, PA
    is it plastic or fiberglass ?
    abs or pvc glue can be found in the plumbing dept for plastic
    fiberglass (polyester) resin from the auto parts store for fiberglass
    then a few layers of fiberglass cloth
    epoxy doesn't stick well to plastic for me, but it's great for fiberglass
     
  4. PSteele

    PSteele Member

    Messages:
    344
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Picture is worth 1,000 words...have a look in my gallery. This is an area I am poor with - finesse I do not have when it comes to sculpting something. Fixing a wall and painting is fine but this stuff is iffy. Pretty sure the lid is just plastic.

    Would I be better off finding a short length of 90 degree stainless steel? Something like 3/4x3/4x18" and using that double duty as a mounting plate and fancy trim? Wouldn't be too hard to put in a couple of gentle bends to conform to the shape of the lid.

    Any help appreciated guys/girls.
     
  5. Polock

    Polock Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,751
    Likes Received:
    2,101
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Beaver Falls, PA
    wow thats not what i envisioned
    aluminum angle is easier to get and bends better than stainless
    gorilla glue sticks to almost anything and foams up to fill voids
    then you'll have something to work with
    you might be up for everyones friend the pop rivet
     
  6. Altus

    Altus Active Member

    Messages:
    1,489
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    London, Ontario
    Wow - I have the exact same touring package!

    Well - I don't have the fairing on mine, and I never mounted the saddle bags - just the backrest & luggage rack. I use the trunk only when I'm going on trips.

    I'd like to hear more about this "gorilla glue" -- I've also got a crack in the lid of my trunk that needs a good permanant fix. Oh - pretty sure the luggage is made of ABS.
     
  7. Polock

    Polock Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,751
    Likes Received:
    2,101
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Beaver Falls, PA
    polyurethane glue or brand name "gorilla glue" sticks to most anything
    and foams up as it cures, this can be a pain or can be a advantage if parts don't fit tight
    works great for the pegs on side covers, the foam gives it kind of a gusset
    if you catch it before it gets too setup you can form the foam with your fingers right where you want it
    the wet glue is a sticky mess, if you ever used foam insulation in a can you know what i mean, don't get it where you don't want it
    try a small bottle as it tends to harden if you don't squeeze most of the air out of the bottle when you put it away
     

Share This Page