1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Kickstand Position Sensor

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jeromey Green, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Jeromey Green

Jeromey Green New Member

Is there any reason for someone to have cut off the kickstand position sensor. They just unmounted it from the bracket and cut the wires and I can't figure out why they would have done that. I have a used sensor coming to replace it so that it doesn't just think the kickstand is always down. This is on my '82 xj750 Maxim. The wire was very clearly cut by something sharp too so it wasn't an accident. It's somewhat difficult to see in the photo but right by my black gloves finger is the end of the severed wire.

2. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

You need about 5 posts before you can post pic"s.

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Most likely due to a PO not having enough patience or knowledge to troubleshoot the safety circuit systems. I've run across many vehicles where people bypassed/hacked off/screwed up things rather than fixing it properly.

4. raskal

raskal Active Member

I was under the impression that you can remove the sensor without the bike complaining in any way. So most likely it failed, and the PO cut and removed it rather than fixing it the right way

5. jayrodoh

If you remove the switch, the wires would need to be connected in order for the bike to run.

Franz and raskal like this.
  6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

some side stands don't lock at the bottom, they just spring back up. i've thought about that mod a few times

jayrodoh likes this.
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you can remove the relay to bypass sidestand switch

8. jayrodoh

I have too many kids in the house still.

9. Jeromey Green

Jeromey Green New Member

It's good to know it's probably just a terrible attempt at fixing some wiring issue. Can't wait to see what other excellent repairs were done to this poor old bike. I know that it used to be part of the DMVs motorcycle training program. According to the keychain from 1990-2005 so a grand total of 15 years. The bike has 43k miles and leaks oil like a siv but she's got compression and doesn't seem to knock so I'm going to do a top end refresh, clean up the valves, replace all the leaking oil seals, rebuild the carbs and petcock, rebuild the brake systems, remove the rust from the gas tank.

I've never done the head on a bike, are there torque to yield head bolts, can I just pull the upper head off (the part containing the valves, cams, and spark plugs) because the lower head gasket isn't leaking at all.