1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Knocking noise

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jvig1014, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Jvig1014

Jvig1014 New Member

I have never worked on a motorcycle before but wanted to give it a go, so I got an 81 XJ550 SECA back in August for $500. It was complete but not running. I did the following:

1. I Cleaned the carbs with a rebuild kit
    2. Got them sync'd
    3. I chased down some electrical Gremlins
    4. I did an oil change and filter
    5. I adjusted clutch and brakes
    6. I gave it a new solenoid / battery / spark plugs
    7. It has new tires / all new lights / bars / grips
    8. Replaced valve cover gasket

The rest had been cosmetic. I turned it into a cafe style bike. I have been able to start it and test ride it through the neighborhood. It runs good and shifts through all the gears nicely and tracks good and straight.

I was having an issue with it not idling and not wanting to start. I did some research on the forum and it turned out to be a gunked up circuit enrichment well and tube...removed the carbs and got that taken care of. Put them back on the bike and it started great and the choke worked as it should.

Took for another test ride and after warming it up, I "goosed it" a little in 2nd gear....next thing I know there was terribly loud ticking / knocking coming from the upper left side of motor. The bike would not hold idle and died. It started right back up but still made the noise. I made it home but it would die as soon as i let off throttle. The following video is the noise it is making. The other is how it sounded before I broke it.

What are y'alls thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. Jvig1014

Jvig1014 New Member

I see the video of it making noise did not make it so here it is

Thanks again

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Check the valve clearances.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yup sounds like a loose tappet to me.

5. Jvig1014

Jvig1014 New Member

I was thinking the same thing.... awesome.....I really thought I broke something good....thanks guys. I have never done this job before, so it will be another learning experience for me!

6. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Goosed it? You mean you revved the nuts off it? Could be you bent a valve.. How else does over-revving affect a previous good clearance?

7. Jvig1014

Jvig1014 New Member

Hahaha.....revved the nuts off it - pretty funny. I did not think I got on it too much. I spent too much time trying to fix this thing to tear it up....plus I'm an old man. My "go fast" days are behind me.

Franz likes this.
  8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

9. a100man

You don't look old! 50 is about the start point for XJ ownership. If you're younger than that you need something liquid-cooled ;-)

10. Jvig1014

Jvig1014 New Member

I am a mid 40's guy but closer to 50 than 40 at this point. I have been fortunate enough to keep my hair and it has not turned grey yet. I have had number of liquid cooled bikes and had my fun with them in the past (riding too fast and red lining the poop out of them). There was something I really enjoyed about these air cooled bikes when I decided I wanted to more wrenching than riding. I really liked the look of doing a cafe style bike as well. Kinda one if those things that there will never be one that looks like this one....there will be similar but never the same. Plus I have learned how to some mechanical stuff, electrical stuff, welding, fabricating......stuff I never had time to learn how to do. I won't be winning any prizes but I like how this one is turning out and have another lying in wait when this one is done.

Thanks rooster - Appreciate the link to valve adjustment ..... I am pretty sure I used that a few weeks ago when I replaced the valve cover gasket. I order the valve shoulder bolt grommet tool - get em on tool - from that xj parts site on here a lot of folks use.

k-moe likes this.
  11. a100man

Yeah, same as that

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sounds like the shim fell out

13. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

^^^+1 pull the valve cover check shims , if you see nothing obvious do a compression test if it indicates zero on one cylinder good chance you have a bent valve .

Rooster53 and Jvig1014 like this.
  14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Ya don't run her again until you take a look at those valves. Here is hoping that it is just a adjustment and you got to it in time.

15. Jvig1014

Jvig1014 New Member

Agreed - no starting until fixed.