1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

LCD Screen

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by CaptNemo, Jan 2, 2009.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

or a pair of polorized sun glasses

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't think there is a clear film available - it is the tint that is responsible for polarizing the light.

I did wonder if you were able to reproduce the outlined rectangles for each icon as with the original. I can't quite tell from your picture if they are present.

And if you happen to check in you inbox is full, I wanted to PM you about another issue

k-moe see above - have you ever replaced the polarizing film? I am guessing Yamaha actually printed or maybe silk screened the rectangles on the film as they are detectable when gently rubbing a fingernail over them. I don't think there is much doubt that the film was applied with either adhesive or adhesive backed material to keep it form buckling in direct sunlight.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's been a while since I played with the film, but IIRC the rectangles were a separate layer. I may be misremebering that though.

There are polarizing films that have lines thin enough that the film appears to be clear. That may be what CaptNemo was referencing.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  4. CaptNemo

CaptNemo Member

5. Tim morris

Tim morris Active Member Premium Member

Rooster 53 is working hard on this with me will update asap

6. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

I see this is an old thread, but wondering if there is updated info or photos showing this film replacement process. My indicators are readable, but extremely dim.

When I look at buying film, I see specs for wavelength and transmission efficiency....what does it all mean?

Seems like a @Rooster53 question to me!

7. Rooster53

I used this one and ordered their smallest sheet:

https://polarization.com/polarshop/...ducts_id=32&osCsid=ca48qrl8ie06ab3b06h73hb6v7

And by indicator you mean the CMS LCD display?

Adhesive backed anti glare - @Roast644 send me a private conversation and I could send you a piece to do a CMS

One thing I didn't get accomplished was a way to print the colored rectangles on the polarizing film. I made some up with transparencies that looked acceptable but not as good as OEM. I am pretty sure Yamaha printed or silk screened the original polarizing film with the appropriate rectangles

8. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Rooster, will PM. Yes, this is the CMS LCD. 82 750 Maxim. So the red and yellow rectangles are printed directly on the polarizing film from the factory? I wonder if it is possible to laser print directly on the film. Is that what you were doing with the transparencies?

9. Rooster53

The FSM doesn't get into replacing the film, but it does cover replacing the LCD glass, which pretty much gets you there

I don't know if the OEM is laser printed or not, but it is either directly printed on the polarizing film or a second adhesive backed sheet was stuck to the film. I did end up going with the laser printer on the transparency, but that means it is not bonded and questionable whether it would hold up under lots of sun. It's also just not as vibrant as the original colors