1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Marzocchi Shocks, worth it?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by a100man, Aug 9, 2016.

1. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

I've stumbled across a pair I can by cheap but I'm guessing they will need some kind of rebuild - is this still possible does anyone know? Marzocchi web-site now looks like a push-bike shop..

BTW they look like these..[​IMG]

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The Marzocci name lives on, but the motorcycle suspension business is long-dead. Any parts you find will be NOS at best. If you can get the shocks cheap then get them. Worst-case you end up selling them or trading them off.

3. a100man

Hi K

About what I thought. They would be a nice 'period' update if they still work or scrap if they don't. I'm OK at buying but not much good at selling. I still have a complete disk brake update for a 1970 VW bus that I bought about 10 years ago in my cellar.. (the brakes not the bus)

4. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

You can apparently still buy the rebuild kits although Marzocchi dont do them anymore, personally having had them on a couple of bikes I think they're crap, they tend to be well oversprung and very harsh, setting sag and respringing may help and the shim stack could be changed, the alloy bodies tend to have worn in the area of the piston stroke
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MARZOCCH...008129?hash=item33bc365001:g:FzkAAOSwl9BWH6vK

Everyone raved about them "back in the day" but that's probably because everything else was so rubbish in that era

5. a100man

Thanks. You can write what I know about suspension on a postage stamp - but if I'm honest I just fancied 'the look'. I think at some point I would need to go on a track day and make adjustments so I experience the differences that can be attained. As it stands I couldn't tell you if I'm running to soft, too hard or anything..:confused:

6. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

They definitely have that period look

I always wanted a set for one of my bikes but once I bought a bike that had them I wasn't so keen on them anymore, knowing what I do now I am sure they could have been made to work better

Look up some articles on setting sag, that helps you get your spring rate right for a start

7. Gohnmad

Gohnmad New Member

I just removed mine due too leaking, I put a non air shick on and love the ride. Any luck on a rebuild kit?