1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted Master idle adjuster for xj550 maxim

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Marc browning, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Marc browning

Marc browning Member

I'm missing all the parts to adjust my idle on my 1981 xj550 maxim. Wanting to see if anyone has one for sale.
    Thanks Marc.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

When you say "all the parts to adjust the idle" do you have a list of what parts that you need? Is your carb rack missing some parts?

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

He’s missing the large knob and spring on it to adjust idle

Attached Files:

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

and the mounting bracket too

5. Marc browning

Marc browning Member

I looked at the different models of bikes like tomanybikes siad to and non of them have the same part nu,her or even look the same. I'm new to the xj series of bikes so I'm not trying to say you are wrong, just the parts don't look the same as what is needed for the xj550.

Xj550H, yes I need the bracket too.

Xj4ever, no I don't have a list I looked at the parts manual and the bracket isn't even listed. But from what I can tell, I need the bracket,screw,bushing, and spring should be parts 6,9,and 10, but still would need the bracket. And then a picture of how it mounts to the carbs. The parts manual isn't very clear on that. I have tried to find pictures on the internet about how it mounts and looks like, but have not had any luck.
    Thanks Marc.

6. Toomanybikes

There’s a guy in upstate NY that has a lot of xj carbs... @hogfiddles . He may have the parts or a complete set.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Sorry I can't be of help. I'm relatively close to you, but don't have any 550 parts.
    I've had good luck finding a few odd parts by scanning the photos of the parts-lot listings on Ebay.
    Hogfiddles probaly does have what you need though.

8. Toomanybikes

If you read the part number the stop screw also listed as a stop screw “set” that may include the bracket as listed on other models that show item 9 as the screw and item 7 is set but not shown on the parts diagram.

9. Marc browning

Marc browning Member

Thanks tomanybikes. I’ll look into it.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the idle bolt has a small bracket that is held onto the front angle bracket on the carb rack by a screw.
    am i correct in thinking you have the angle bracket. so you just need the small bracket and adjuster.

the photo is a bracket and knob that is missing the gromet

idlebracket (2).jpg

different bikes that will fit
    HCP14257RP OEM re-plated carb lower rack lateral bracket IDLE SPEED BOLT EXTENSION, this bracket carries the idle speed adjuster bolt. Beautiful silver-zinc plating brings the bottom side of these carbs to life. Fits all all XJ550, XJ650 Turbo, XJ700-X, XJ750-X, and all XJ900 (BS35 and BS36 series) carbs. NOTE: requires a $ 25.00 core charge, refundable upon the return of an undamaged, same-model, same-type bracket.

HCP9848 Aftermarket Mikuni idle speed screw rubber GROMMET, fits into the lower carb rack islde speed adjustment bolt loop opening where the idle speed screw enters the bracket. This replacement grommet is quite a bit larger than the stock grommet, but fits and works properly. Use a little bit of silicone grease on the screw's shaft where it passes through this grommet and it will be silky-smooth in operation. Fits all XJ550, XJ650 Turbo, XJ700-X, XJ750-X, and XJ900 (BS and BS36 series) carbs

11. Marc browning

Marc browning Member

Thanks XJH, I appreciate all your help, looking forward to getting the parts.
    Marc