1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim cafe racer?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by SalCycle, Jul 23, 2007.

1. SalCycle

SalCycle Member

So, I got into the xj world by accident. I didn't know anything about the bikes, until I stumbled upon this website (from which I have learned a boat load). I've since come to fancy secas over the maxim I ended up with, and have taken a fancy to all those nice cafe racers built by xj members out there. To take account of the fact that I own a Maxim, and would like a Seca, I've decided to make a Sexim. I found and modified a Seca tank to fit my frame, and I also installed a old Kawasaki seat. I would like to change the bars and some of the accessories. But here it is, as it stands.

Attached Files:

2. irishladjbl

irishladjbl Member

I look forward to seeing the finished product. From the looks of it, you can make your Cafe unique. I think you will find that riding a Cafe Racer puts you in a club all its own. Have fun.

3. blackdiscoball

blackdiscoball Member

Im loving that seat! What model kawi did you get it off of? Also, how hard was it to fasten on (as well as your moded seca tank) Im in the same boat as you, I got a maxim but would rather have a seca.

4. SalCycle

SalCycle Member

The seller said it was off a 75 Kawasaki 750, but there was an owner's manual tucked in it's rightful spot, and it shows a KZ650 and most likely a 77 or 78.

I had to weld on hinges for the seat. So, it's a bit of a project. Fortunately, the pin size is the same as your run-of-the-mill door hinge, so I butchered one up and welded it to the frame. I've just got a temporary hold down for the other side at the moment, but I plan to install a proper locking mechanisim to hold down the seat. The main challenge was mating it with the tank, once I determined its location.

Mounting the tank was no cake walk either. Required some cutting and welding on the tank itself.

5. blackdiscoball

blackdiscoball Member

Well you did a great job. Sounds like quite the headache. It looks great so im sure its worth it.

6. Spokes81

Spokes81 Member

Thats the coolest thing ive ever seen. Keep posting pics.

7. SalCycle

SalCycle Member

More pics coming soon.

8. Cutlass84

Cutlass84 New Member

Awesome! I didn't realize it was so hard to put a seca tank on. I had been wanting to do the same to mine.

I'm kind of going for the street fighter look with my bike. I'll try to snap a picture of it if you like..

9. Donophan

Donophan Member

The tank was so hard to put on b/c it was for a 650 and yours is a 550 right? It looks really nice too! Keep up the good work!

10. SalCycle

SalCycle Member

Donophan, I'm not sure. The place where I bought it from had 550 written on it. But they admitted that the labeling was often wrong.

11. SalCycle

SalCycle Member

Here's another pic with the maxim tank on.

Attached Files:

12. TECHLINETOM

TECHLINETOM Member

My first bike was a 78 KZ650. Good beginner bike. But I think I'll like my XJ1100 better : )

13. smythe302

smythe302 New Member

is that a custom side panel?

14. worldsfastestxj550

worldsfastestxj550 New Member

looks good, im diggin the seca tank. throw some clipons or clubmans on that bike and your good to go

15. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

If your into making it look more like a Seca, I have an original square headlight (just like new) I would trade for your round one if your interested!! >PD<