1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim X in boxes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by PiotrS, Jan 12, 2021.

1. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

Hi Everyone
    Im new here, but will stay a bit restoring my new old lady. I bought in Germany (I'm living in Poland) Maxim X that is dissasembled and stored in boxes. According to the owner (still not get it on site) all parts are there because he wanted to restore Maxim but he got not time fo that and only whathe did is dissasembled everything. So now all that bunch of everything will come to me and I'll restore it to the original. I need some information from where I can download service manual (better for free) and eventually all other information that may be helpful for me.
    I'm very familiar with motorcycles ad did restore few bike from 80 s to previous charm.

Piotr

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. You have a lot of work ahead of you, I wish you luck on what could be a monumental project.

3. JCH

JCH Active Member

Get one at Emanual On Line 20.00 bucks PDF

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Is this bike from Canada or USA?
    Canada is 750cc with 11,000 red-line, USA is 700cc with 10,000 red-line, otherwise the manuals will be the same for most stuff.
    The frame sticker should identify it, also the cylinder block will have the displacement embossed on the cam chain bulge between 2-3.
    Also your tachometer will be 10,000 or 11,000 redline.

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum , see my post Johnny Cash bike , this started out as an engine and frame and a pile of parts bought for 120$ , it is running and have a totally rode it 4 miles ...still have more work to do but it is fun .Good luck keep us updated with pics on your progress .

6. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

I hope next week will have Maxim in my garage, in boxex but stil. Looks like this is US version XJ700X Maxim X 1985.

7. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

i once did same as you , bought a honda cx500 in boxes, all parts seemed to be there, was'nt till i got it home that i realised that most of the bolts wer'nt there. especially the special ones like the engine bolts and fine thread ones. these were a nightmare to find ,as most bike dismantlers throw the bolts away. this was the worst part of the build. check when you pick it up ,that the bolts are there.

8. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

Well, hoping for the best expecting the worst! I take under consideration that some shits may happen but I buy it from german guy so that counts for plus as they are very serious and honest. But all can happens...will see next week.

9. Stan Norman

Stan Norman New Member

10. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

Thanks, but I did already find that site and read it very carrefuly.

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

You have all of the experience here, ask questions. The resources Hap has on maxim-x is invaluable, too. There are many of us who have built bikes from boxes..... I, for one, am building an X from nothing but a bare frame. It’s getting close to done.

Timbox, Franz, PiotrS and 1 other person like this.
  12. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

Hi. Still not got it in my garage but the german guy send me over pictures with stuff ready to pick up. On the first pic is Maxim before dismantling.

Attached Files:

13. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

I have question: (started to assably my Maxim, just arrived today) is there everything, mean on the pic? I see on right side 6 mm thread hole and nothing there.

Attached Files:

14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

looks like the pointer for the timing marks 9 10 11
    MjE4Njc1OQ-5908ab55.png

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  15. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

16. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

But this pointer is only for adjusting I guess, no problem with normal use without?

17. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

If you're putting this together from parts you should make sure your valves are in tolerance.
    If you need to change shims the cam shafts need to come out and the pointer is needed to reference the crank position in relation to the cams.

k-moe likes this.
  18. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

Well, but engine was not dissasebled, was mounted completely to the frame. Previous owner wanted to polish left cover and he broke the bolt, that is why cover was out. I already repair the thread and all looks ok. Mileage is only 32000 km.

19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Good to hear the engine is intact.
    I still suggest you go through the process of measuring (and adjusting if req'd) valves.
    At 32,000 kms it's doubtful it was ever done. Yamaha recommend checking every 42,000 kms (26,600 miles).
    In my own experience I swapped shims at half that distance, probably around 15,000 kms.
    You can eye ball it without the pointer but you can probably make one easy enough.
    Is your speedo/odometer actually in kms?

IMG_1300.JPG

20. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Is teh Maxim-X head like my FZ750? If so I had a horrific time with the valve shims over the summer. Must have had the cams out 3 times which is no joke as there are about 40+ bolts to torque up every time and also getting a torque wrench onto the cam sprockets is also a nightmare requiring wobble ends an the like. Why 3 times? I foolishly didn't measuring teh shims myslef an relied on teh sizes stamped on, not realising that several had been ground to size (quite neatly I might add). A lot of headscratch ensued when after re-assembley some clearances had worsened as I moved the 'bad' shims about. I thought I might have bent a cam and bought some plastiguage too. The diddly cap shims are hard to find now too.