1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Motorcycle safety switches possibly faulty

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by mleatherwood, Mar 5, 2024.

?

1982 XJ 550. When clutch is in and clutch depressed, engine "sometimes" will shut off immediately.

1. Most likely problem

2. Possible problems

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mleatherwood

mleatherwood MarkXJ

1982 XJ 550. When clutch is in and clutch depressed, engine "sometimes" will shut off immediately. Also, if I'm riding and it's running fine, it will sometime completely shut off as if one of the cutout switches was not operating properly. Suggestions?

2. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

kick stand switch is likely culpret
    If your kick stand is up and its idling in neutral and you shift into gear with clutch in and it shuts off, that can be kick stand switch (Don't recall if there is a center stand switch too?)
    With bike off, You should hear a click I "THINK" if you are in gear and raise/lower kick stand w/ clutch in.

3. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

so, I don't know about the 550 and its safety stuff but if you have the electrical diagram then you can see what you have on your bike (everyone needs that for their bike and a wise investment to find a manual used)
    On my 82 XJ650, the neutral switch and kick stand interact to keep ignition off when not in neutral and the kickstand is down.
    I can turn on the bike, put it in gear and then lower the kick stand and I can hear the relay click. raising the kickstand or putting it in neutral and it will click again.
    Doing this on the center stand so no center stand switch.
    Also, clutch does not matter for that switch, There however is a switch for clutch in and in gear OR in Neutral activates the safety relay for the starter so you don't start it in gear w/ clutch out and it take off on you (some older bikes like the XS650 dont' have that).