1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Moving engine off frame (81 Xj650)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SwIrv, Apr 12, 2019.

?

Do I buy/need a lift?

1. Of course!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cinder blocks are fine!

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. SwIrv

SwIrv New Member

I started removing my engine off the frame and I got everything off except bolt number 7. I hit it with WD-40 and other penetrating lubricants but hopefully tonight is the night.

I was hoping I can get some tips or advice on how to easily move the engine. I cant afford a lift or hoist at the moment and beer can only help so much. I made a wooden crib with 2 x 4's and the plan is to slide the engine forward and to the right landing on said crib.

xj650_frame.JPG

2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I have heard that people have the best luck laying it on its side and then pulling the frame off of the engine before turning it right side up again

Taylo105 likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

For putting it back in yes, but the removal was easiest (for me) by unbolting etc. and lifting up and out to the side onto a milk crate.

Chitwood likes this.
  4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

take the rotor out and the starter off and that rubber cover on the u-joint likes to get pinched, tie it back

5. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

You probly know this, but be sure your torquing on the nut, not the bolt, as the bolt will suck up your torque as it flexes.
    Remove the nut, 8 first then try to spin the bolt in the mount before and as you remove it.
    Other than that, good penetrating oil and carefull heat.
    Get a buddy... Bribe him with the beer you got, each take a side... Most machines the engine comes out easier to the right side of the frame. Good luck.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

#7 is the main motor mount bolt. It carries 80% of the weight of the engine. You can't get it out easily (or safely IMO) without putting a jack under the engine to take the weight off of it. Use a board to spread the weight across the oil pan so it doesn't crack. You might need to use a brass drift (or hardwood dowel) to drive the bolt out.

With the bolt out you can then jack the engine up a tad more to clear the frame and slide it out onto a milk crate or similar (a modified rolling mechanic's chair works well).
    Having a freind help will save your back, and ease the process.

As mentioned earlier, putting it back in is easiest if you lay it on the side, lower the frame over the engine, and bolt it up before lifting teh bike up again. I tend to just slide it back into place the same way I take it out though.

Colin 85 700 likes this.
  7. SwIrv

SwIrv New Member

Thanks for all the help so far guys I really appreciate it, but I ran into another issue. :D

I was just about to have my friend come over and help me handle the motor but while I was removing the drive shaft I ran into a problem with the last bolt #40.

I managed to get 3 out of the 4 but cant seem to get the last one off, but today as I surf the web looking to see if anyone has ran into this problem I came across a thread that mentioned to "Remove the joint bolts on the drive".

My concern is when I tried to remove the screws on the drive shaft side there was parts moving as I was turning the bolt. Maybe I was looking at the wrong bolts, the pictures are really dark and hard to make out what bolts they are working on. I thought removing the bolts that would turn into a problem so I turned my attention to the engine side and I'm stuck with one bolt left.

My question is do I keep trying to remove that last bolt on the engine side or do I go back to the drive shaft?
    Drive shaft connection.JPG

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

take the 40's out, don't take anything out of the engine. their real tight( i guess you found that out) only use a 6 point box end wrench.
    if you take the bolts out of the engine you'll get a bunch of shims to fall out, don't do that