1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My Johnny Cash bike ( one piece at a time)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Today regressed and adjusted the head stem bearings , decided for now to stick with ball bearings , maybe one day I will swap for taper bearings . Started to look at forks..oh dear left looked okay , right fork had water inside fork :eek: have not got it tore down yet was getting late so called it a day . Yesterday I put swing arm back in at least for now . Still trying to figure out what I need and trying to get hardware figured out . So far bike bought for 120$ and abused PayPal bought a bunch of parts off eBay so about 350$ , one day will get it all back together :D. Some pics for both bikes hope "new" bike will look as good as Old Yellow my 82 seca

Attached Files:

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You'll make out on the deal.
    Ball bearings work fine, just make sure that the races aren't notched.

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Active Member

Keep at it, no use rushing. The yellow 750 seca is a good looking bike, no doubt about it.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice project for the Autumn and Winter.

5. Jetfixer

Update got right fork apart it is toast lower fork housing is full of rust and fork tube has rust spots on the chrome where seal rests , trying to clean it up , inner lower piston is badly rusted and pitted . Think this guy I got bike from was using it a boat oar ? Think I'm going to look for another fork , have not took left fork apart but looks better .

McTavish likes this.
  6. McTavish

McTavish Member

#1000.

7. Jetfixer

Had to take swing arm out , forgot to put rubber boot over drive shaft , so installed and reinstalled swing arm, put foot pegs and rear engine mount bolts back on . Reinstalled rear brake arm back on , and put wire loom back on ...oh boy some was labeled others were not . Well will have to do it hard way wiring diagram. On a brighter note rode 8 miles on my other Seca , road was pretty wet in places so did not go far.

8. Jetfixer

Got swing arm back in, rear shocks and fender, put wiring loom some of the connectors are not in real good shape , I ordered a kit off of Amazon of plugs and connectors , while I was at it ordered the kit of butt splices with heat shrink tubes ...pretty impressed with these kits will make things neeter .

Attached Files: