1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My memory fails me and I can't get my xj650j back together

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by scottscheffer, Jan 4, 2015.

  1. scottscheffer

    scottscheffer New Member

    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Heeelp! I am finishing up a head gasket job on my 82 xj650. I'm excited that I got this far, but I didn't take enough pics and what I thought would be simple things are murdering me. I can't figure out how to put the battery wiring back together. Of course the positive side connects to the solenoid. And I've connected the ground cable to a bolt on the crankcase. The cable looks like it fits there and that bolt was loose so I'm pretty sure I'm right. But there is also a black cable that is about 8 or 10 inches long and I can't remember where it came from. Does it ground the engine to the frame? There is one other bolt loose on the crankcase - it could go there but I don't see anything on the frame that it might have connected to.
     
  2. k-moe

    k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

    Messages:
    19,697
    Likes Received:
    6,787
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    The City of Seven Hills
    The short black cable goes from the negative battery post to the engine (bolt is along the rear of the case on the right side ). The longer black cable connects to the starter post and one small terminal of the starter solenid (this is a positive lead and is black for cosmetic reasons).
     
  3. rocs82650

    rocs82650 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,663
    Likes Received:
    356
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Middle Tennessee
    If the other cable looks like the battery ground cable it goes from the other loose bolt and connects to the frame at a bolt on the left side below the tci. It's a earth ground. Hope this help.

    Gary H.
     

Share This Page