1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My Secaii takes 5 minutes to start unless I pull airbox

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SlyFoxEplores, Oct 3, 2026 at 3:07 PM.

  1. SlyFoxEplores

    SlyFoxEplores New Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    RI
    Good afternoon everyone! My bike (1992 xj600 Secaii) has been reliable and started first or second crank no matter temp, elevation, and weather. Recently however, when starting, the bike stays at idle no matter where I position the throttle, sometimes I have to increase and decrease the throttle slightly to keep the engine running. Does this usually for about 5 or so minutes before revving up, at higher elevations itl sometimes spit out a little smoke cloud, but then run completely normally. I have not been able to recreate this phenomenon with the airbox pulled off, so I went ahead and replaced that, Carbs rebuilt all jets OEM. New air filter. Petcock is good. Fuel filter is new. I ordered a compression tester and am going to check the valves soon(later tonight after work or tomorrow), but any advise would be helpful as this is my daily vehicle. Thank you for your time!!
     
  2. Rayzerman

    Rayzerman Member

    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    29
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    I have the same bike, don't really have any elevation changes to test that..... I have stock air box.
    To fix the cold idle issue, I put in #20 idle jets, stock jets #15, but I really should have gone with #17.5. My screws are 1.5 turns out.
    Why I went with #20, is because the manual list two types of carbs and idle jets, and I ordered the incorrect jets (#20).... they will work fine.
    Had problems with the fuel hoses.... developed cracks, so sucking air to the fuel pump.
    Bought an off the shelf fuel filter that looked like the original.... found it has a check valve in it that won't flow fuel very well, especially if you a have a cracked fuel line, lol. I'd check that all over, replace hoses as necessary, make sure fuel filter flows freely (blow through both ends).
     
  3. SlyFoxEplores

    SlyFoxEplores New Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    RI
    I appreciate this. I'll do that tomorrow. Hoses should all be good as they're new but ye never know. I'll check the fuel filter too and make sure, never hurts to check. Jetting *shouldn't* be an issue as it's never had this problem in the entire 70-ish thousand miles I've put on it, but I'll try that and see what happens. If anything changes I'll keep you updated.
     
  4. Rayzerman

    Rayzerman Member

    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    29
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    If your hoses are new, likely not a problem.... mine were 1992 vintage and due for replacement.
    As for jetting, they were known to be very cold blooded, took forever to warm up when first started..... mine came with the stock #15 jets, carbs were clean, but the shop that serviced it had the screws backed out to 4 turns... with the #20 jets I'm at 1.5 turns, with the 17.5 jets I'd venture one would be around 2 turns. Mine only takes a minute or so to warm up to a normal idle, no choke.
     

Share This Page