1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My XJ "Eight Ball" cafe-racer

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by gazzz, Dec 31, 2014.

1. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

2. gazzz

gazzz Member

I have never written a story in English before, but, even so, I took a risk to write about my cafe-racer creation in few parts. I'm just putting a first two tedious parts here and hope I'll not be beaten:)

As i wrote earlier, I sold my XJ400 in 2007, and expected never to see it again in my garage. But 2 years later this bike returned back to me, being a little bit crashed here, and more than bit smashed there, and in completely non-functioning condition after non-fatal road accident. The former owner (of the bike) knew about my search for custom bike creation base and proposed me to get XJ back.
    So this story begins six years ago, with one slightly mad winter drive. It was an early morning when me and my old chap kicked out rear seats from his car, and started our two hundred and fifty kilometers run. It might be a short distance, if not overnight snowfall which continued for all that day, that made a trip much longer.
    [​IMG]

But my friend is that type of guy, who rides or drives clear and fast all vehicles with at least two wheels attached, so we were in point of destination in time.
    Over there we participated in a quest named “How to shove a motorcycle into the little car's trunk”, which we've completed successfully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the car owner, proud of his car’s capacity:

[​IMG]

Our way home was also under a snowfall, while a great deal easier due to our pleasant cargo.

[​IMG]
    After detailed check of the bike I completed the list of parts that were more or less destroyed, and needed replacement:
    • Front fork tubes;
    • Dashboard and ignition switch;
    • Rear shocks;
    • Headlight;
    • Tank ;
    • Rear plastic tails and lightning’s;
    • Seat and luggage rack;
    • Handlebar.
    And frame’s rear part needed to be repaired.
    At that time I also bought a quite a few of XJ550 parts and during month I completed all emergency works .
    Even simply stripped bike looked interesting, but…

[​IMG]
    … terribly ordinary. And I was aware that my technical and designing skills were insufficient so I decided don’t rush...

3. gazzz

gazzz Member

Part 2.

The only place where I could work was a corner of my friend’s garage. All my wrenches and tool could be fitted in the one red toolbox. And I was enough skilled as mechanic, but not as good as I wished.

[​IMG]
    In fact, if all your fiends are motorcyclists, you have no problem in enhancing repairing skills. That wasn’t thoughtful decision, but since winter 2009 I began take in repair different bikes. Works were ranged from rebuilding / fixing / assembling brakes and suspensions, as well as carburetors cleaning to engines overhauling.

More of those repair works were quite ordinary ones, nevertheless giving me a lot of practice, experience, and also ideas of what tools I exactly needed. But some of works were very interesting in addition, such as tune-up of my own Kawasaki Zephyr’s engine with Wiseco' forged pistons:

[​IMG]
    Or such as Honda CB750 F2 SOHC 1978 engine overhauling:

[​IMG]

And so on and so forth…

[​IMG]

All money have been earned on those repairs were spent by me on buying wrenches, tools, measuring tools and all other stuff needed to do repairing works better.

[​IMG]

When you are riding at least 10K miles a season (from Spring till Winter), and also when you are some kind of photographer, you will be ready to spend a lot of time for all that and on keeping your bike in excellent condition also:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So time flies fast when you‘re having what to do. And I had. There were an employment, the family, the friends, a motorcycle riding, a photographing , as well as my additional mechanical works, not mentioning other few…
    Also, all that time I collected different motorcycle parts. Some of them where intended for my Cafe –Racer project:

[​IMG]

Others of them I have bought due to their rarity, intending to apply them in future projects:

[​IMG]

But progress of “Eight Ball” was still a real turtle slowly-like. I had a few new sketches, but hey where far from perfect as this one:

[​IMG]
    But I have done nothing serious in this case. And so my life went likewise until year 2012...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

X-ceptional!

5. gazzz

gazzz Member

Thanks!

Part 3:

Year 2012 began straight with another one buying trip under snowfall.
    [​IMG]
    That time I planned to buy some XJ600 51J parts, including engine, carburetors, exhaust and electrical system in working condition.

As result I have got enough parts to compile something different from the original XJ400. And, according to the spirit of original Cafe Racer's creation, enhanced. There were: to use better chassis, more powerful engine, all those improvements that guys done with their bikes in sixties and what I thought to do with my old XJ.

Practicality was another reason in my constructing. Clear triangle of frame and lack of front mudguard always looks good, but only before first ride under rain. I had thousands of miles under rain showers and hundreds even under snow falls, and that’s exactly the point of my mind, that minimal weather protection of rider and pod air filters should be always available.And maybe it's very cool to ride motorbike without front brakes, and get kicked by seat on every road pothole, but I prefer to have good working suspensions and brakes.

But back to the story. I did compilation of chassis, including front wheel recombination, as quickly as possible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made that new sketch in April, and it was viable, as for me. But there were many unsolved questions, because I used too many different parts from different motorcycles of even different manufacturers. And I needed more place for my works and expanded arsenal of tools, so in June 2012 I moved to my own garage.

There was a lot of time spent on initial clean-up and furniture rearrangement. It was hard work but it was worth it. Since that time my garage became to me something like my own shelter.

[​IMG]

You can be a good mechanic but, it does not necessarily means, that you are a good metalworker. I tried to be a good one. I hadn’t professional tools such like tube bender or sheet bender, but if you want to do something, you do it anyway.
    I invented metal template to made tail tube.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And clip-ons were lower triple from another bike in a previous life. And so on.

[​IMG]

You find a way in which work may be done and you do it, and you can be easily hooked on this.
    Also there still were design questions. The gas tank looked attractive, when it was scraped red and a bit rusted. But in simple black it did become ugly:

[​IMG]

And then, suddenly after much thoughts was a turning point of the project. That was like a lightning flash in the night, when design of bike became close to his current view.

[​IMG]

Year 2012 was full of events. I have got my own garage and finally began to work with my first serious project. And there were friendswhose opinions supported me in my work.

[​IMG]

6. gazzz

gazzz Member

So, the main line of my cafe's design was found, and then became the time for bike detailing.
    There was Winter 2013. I had a lot of ideas, such as unusual mirror assembled from various mirrors parts, or wire box's aluminum covers cut by Dremel tool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of ideas required new tools, like a bench drill.

[​IMG]

And here is result. Stainless foot pegs with 47 holes being drilled in each of them:

[​IMG]
    Some of the earlier made parts were remade with more accuracy, and became more functional.
    [​IMG]

That was a point, many parts were maid twice. Once just to perform their function, and secondly, to be better looking and working.
    I never worked with fiberglass and also had no time to learn how it should be done properly. So I made full sized model and ordered tail's making. When it was ready I made all needed parts and then tail part of frame was welded. Here I have to say that almost all welding works were done by one of my chums, a very good welder.

[​IMG]

In beginning of April 2013 all my earlier ordered parcels arrived. There were a lot of parts: gaiters, grips, dashboard, gas cap with fuel sensor, turn lights, headrace bearings, tap repair kit, different original parts, and so on. The geography of my purchases widened: USA, GB, Australia, France, Germany, Thailand...

[​IMG][​IMG]

And then my cafe-racer project was temporary interrupted by another work needed to be done. It was the Yamaha SRX-600. Nice single cylinder bike, but was in ass handed guy bad hands previously. As a result SRX was totally overhauled in my garage, beginning from engine overhauling to suspension, a bit enhanced with another motorcycle's adopted units .

[​IMG]

That bike required a lot of my time, thinking and efforts. There were a several special tools developed, and also a lot of cleaning, polishing and wrenching works. To be exact, I can say: those work became an independent project finally.

[​IMG]

SRX-600 was finished by the end of the Summer, and I returned to Cafe-Racer project.
    I finally solved question with front fork. The main obstacle was that current fork's (XJ600 51J) tubes were covered with points of rust. Another one was ugly looked upper triple. To be precise, it was the ugliest top triple I have ever seen. That'swhy I bought FZ600 front fork with triples. It had the same tube's diameter and brake calipers mounting points. But it' top triple looked rather greater. In addition it had air pressure system and Yamaha Variable Damper as a bonus. As you might guess, I rebuilt fork: replaced bushings and oil seals, totally polished outer tubes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was another portion of metal works again. After that I designed integrated tail light. The trick was in combination of the vintage car's amber glass, Red HI-Power Leds and hand cut aluminum rim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upon successful completion I had to do another pivotal piece of work, the seat. Without digging into much details, the seat base was made from 3mm aluminum with stamped strengtheners and additional reinforcing steel patch.

[​IMG]

I designed seat model up to seams positioning. Then custom seat maker made seat in line with my model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It folowed by construction of different smaller units, such as rear brake drive, centering of rear wheel to longitudinal axis of frame and so on and so forth...
    The Year 2013 was coming to the end, and unfortunately, so the peaceful and stable life in Ukraine.
    The anti-government clashes erupted in Kiev, were do I live and work, so project was interrupted again.

need2speed3 and Stumplifter like this.
  7. Kris Taylor

Kris Taylor Member

This is amazing

8. kwes

kwes Member

good stuff man!

9. gazzz

gazzz Member

New day, another part of the story.

Year 2014 hadn't brought stability for Ukraine either. But people get used to everything, so in Spring I returned to my project and decided to finish it anyway.
    The only few important parts weren’t completed yet. Thus, I designed and made a new version of the front mud guard, chain guard, lower gaiter clamps and pod filters covers. Steering limiter and seat lock base were welded to frame:

[​IMG]

And suddenly it turned out that the Cafe-Racer was ready for road testing.

[​IMG]

Firstly bike was tested for steering limiter sufficiency in garages area. My friend, who performed as welder, also has been practicing motorcycle gymkhana. So he just sat on the bike and proved that limiter is good enough:)

After that I had no choice but to organize the Track Day. I involved several friends, including that one, who superbly rides on everything capable to be ridden, and we went to old Kart Circuit. I got a dozen laps at first, and enjoyed my bike so much! It occurred to me, I'll be better with my camera, whereas my chap - on the Track.

[​IMG]

So I took a camera, gave cafe' key to my friend and Show begun. After a pair of warming laps he ridden like hell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do not actually consider myself a videographer – I am a photographer, in addition my hands were trembling with excitement, but I've shot the video the best I could.

The Track Day triggered one of the final project’s stages: total bike repainting and rebuilding of parts, which weren't rebuilt earlier.
    Fuel tank, front mudguard and tail were gone to the painter first, so the question of tank's logo beaconed automatically. Basically, it could be the Yamaha logo, but what relation it had to the project by the end? Therefore I began designing my own logo. I am not professional designer, but with a couple of friend's advises and comments I found the right idea and made it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While first portion of parts was in painting, I took out engine and placed it on the working table.

[​IMG]

It’s well known, old engines need at least inspecting and rebuilding of a top end. I got a minimal kit (gasket set and rings) for that in last couple of parcels.

[​IMG]

But this engine I have prepared for repainting, so it was completely disassembled.

[​IMG]

Thorough inspection of components had shown that all of them were in good condition, except of a bit rusted metal clutch disks and a slight deviation from norm in first cylinder measurements. It was out-of-round in 0.07mm while specification limit was 0.05mm.

[​IMG]

I was forced to research of the XJ600 51J cylinder block replacement, and defined it to be interchangeable with Diversion 600 one. That was possible with some modifications related with cam chain adjusting system. And Diversion block had lager cooling fins as a bonus. Therefore, I bought cylinder block on ebay.

Cylinder head inspection also revealed a need of light porting.

[​IMG]

That was usual work which I did without problems.

[​IMG]

When parcel with cylinders arrived, I did all needed measures to be sure in bores good condition.

[​IMG]

But they were near perfect condition.

[​IMG]

I performed all needed modifications to install new cylinders in my engine, after that I cleaned engine and prepared it for glass blasting.

[​IMG]

Engine looked very nice and clean after aforesaid procedure and was ready for painting.

[​IMG]

Project progress gained momentum and seemed to be on full throttle…

Ketchup likes this.
  10. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Top notch work! My favorite modified XJ. You're an inspiration sir.

11. Kris Taylor

Kris Taylor Member

Love the paint work the engine work. It's all just mind blowing.

12. gazzz

gazzz Member

Thanks again.

13. gazzz

gazzz Member

Penultimate chapter of the "Eight Ball" creation story:

The flames of war in the East of my country were yet another reason, which has reinforced my works on the project. I am not so brave to volunteer, but should I be mobilized, it would interrupt building the cafe-racer for indefinite period. Up to never finishing it.

Therefore I dedicated all available time to the project.

After being glass blasted, the engine was painted and later I baked it for a few hours in foiled cardboard box with approximately 160-170 C.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last portion of metal details were made or remade. Useless pieces of XJ400 frame were cut and last welding works were done. Only a few words, but a tone of work.

[​IMG]

Some parts I prepared and gave for being zinc-galvanized.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other ones (including frame) - for being sandblasted and painted in several batches.

[​IMG]

First units were completely finished, and that was a damn nice feeling. Even if that was the only seat lock:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or oil cooler adapter with turn signals bracket.

[​IMG]

Parts looked especially great when collected together.

[​IMG]

Engine assembling was a next stage after all chassis parts were painted or gone to painter. First, I assembled a cylinder head, which surface and valve seats were cut up to normal condition earlier.

[​IMG]

Then was a time to work on crankcase, step by step.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The trick of an easy crankcase halves joining is in transmission shaft binding to lower half with a plastic cable tie.

[​IMG]

Subsequently I prepared cylinders to installation.

[​IMG]

Also the cylinder head was ready to be installed in its place later.

[​IMG]

Soon engine was ready for camshaft installation and valve clearance.

[​IMG]

There was a question with valve shims. I was forced to replace at least a half owing to valve seat cutting. But there were no shims even in the Yamaha local store. Or should I put it: "especially in the Yamaha local store " because they never have parts you need. But I wouldn't be myself, if I didn't try to find an alternate way. In fact I found out that old BMW F650GS have the same to XJ400-550-600 shims. And there were a lot of them in Local BMW store and they were even cheaper then Yamaha shims on Wemoto.com.

Another tone of work to be expressed "in couple words" was engine cover polishing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think, this cover and opposite one are sand casted. They were chromed initially, but for now partly lost coating, so I had a reason to remove residual chrome completely. Grooves were there originally, but they were additionally milled, while chrome removed.
    Yet one feature I added.

[​IMG]

Then I repacked clutch.

[​IMG]

And engine was ready to installation.

[​IMG]

Actually I had to shoot photo of disassembled bike before. So I did some assembling works with such units like a wire box or rear shocks and so on. After I made that photo, I installed engine in frame. Or, to be precise, I put the frame on the engine, that was much easier.

[​IMG]

Chassis was built part by part. New bolts, nuts and washers were used everywhere, except wheel, swingarm, engine axles, and other specific hardware. Last chassis bearings were changed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cable routing and wiring demanded a lot of my attention and efforts, but I'll tell you about features of "Eight Ball" electrical system next time.
    All cables and wire jacks were placed on right places sooner or later. I installed braded brake hoses and made a couple of clamps to attach them to fork.

[​IMG]
    During above mentioned works the last feature was added to paintwork. That was a motto of this cafe-racer: "Eight Ball. As above, so below.". You can see it on first page of the thread.

I made a few final works, such as fuel petcock rebuilding or grips replacing... and suddenly bike was ready. I realized it even not after I started engine at first time, but when I caught myself with shooting camera one misty morning.

[​IMG]

The Author expresses his gratitude to close circle of friends, who helped, listened, watched, adored, criticized, advised, and even hurried him up.

Kickaha and Kris Taylor like this.
  14. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

.. and you have a day job !!??

Thanks for the full story - really impressed by all the work and detail, congratulations. If I can get my 51J to start I'll be happy !!

Cheers
    James

15. Quixote

Quixote Active Member

Great bike, and great story! Inspirational.

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the center stand looks to be hanging low while it's being ridden... is the spring tight? you don't need any sparks

17. gazzz

gazzz Member

Yep. I earn my bread as IT specialist from 9:00 AM till 5:00 PM, 5/7.

I used central stand temporary in purpose of assembling and so on. I had no intentions to use it after bike finished, you can see that on photos from this thread's first page. Actually this is a XJ600 51J (FJ600) central stand, which is also shorter than original XJ400(XJ550) one.

18. gazzz

gazzz Member

So, it's time to write about wiring, electrical and so on features of my bike.
    A couple words about wiring box first. I made it as a dual purpose thing. Box would do both: to protect pod filters from water and mud and to contain battery, CDI, starter relay, fuse box end their connectors. Relay rectifier was mounted on its front side also.

[​IMG]

Here is interior view of box.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I made a set of self - locking rubber plates for battery fixation and protection. Box is pretty tightly packed, but all things and wires have their places and could be serviced easily.

[​IMG]

The horn location is another feature. I located it under the frame, above engine, were it sounds loud and is invisible at the same time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next point is wire and cable routing. The only place for all connectors is between frame and tank, so it was difficult enough to locate all of them there. And XJ600 wiring does not designed to be fit to XJ400 frame. So I rerouted wiring three times at least and cut it here and there, but found place for all connectors at the end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But routing is not only useful, but It looks good too, in my opinion. I routed and grouped all wires, cables and hoses with all accuracy in this case and made their lines as clear as possible.

[​IMG]

The speed sensor wire looks a bit ugly, when it wrapped around brake line.

[​IMG]

Dragging wire through thin rubber hose is my solution.

[​IMG]

The last, but not the least feature. Custom tale needs custom lighting. I made my version using old car amber glass, handmade frame an handmade lighting unit. Lighting unit consists of Hi Power LEDs (tail light - 2x1W and Stop light - 2x3W ) and handmade polished aluminum reflector (work as additional radiator for LEDs also).

[​IMG]

Completed version from another side:

[​IMG]

Hi Power LEDs shines really bright but need drivers, which regulate amperage for LEDs properly work.And these drivers need to be placed somewhere and be a bit protected from water and vibrations. I made special aluminum platform, mounted to frame via rubber bands for this purpose.
    Also I made aluminum cover for tail bottom side.

[​IMG]

The only thing left to be described. This is a custom license plate light. After long thoughts and experiments I made it using part as follows: 1W LED, a pair of spark plus rubbers, a couple washers, a piece of heat-shrink tubing, a glass, one turn signal wire rubber and plastic washer with rectangle hole in it.

[​IMG]

Glass and washer are clamped in longer rubber.

[​IMG]

Whereas LED - in shorter one.

[​IMG]

After that we can join all pieces in one using heat-shrink tube.

[​IMG]

A couple of mountings, and undertail space is ready:

[​IMG]
    Bottom view:

[​IMG]

And one at work:
    [​IMG]

That's all. I hope, it'll be useful for you.

BrosefStalin and Kickaha like this.
  19. gazzz

gazzz Member

I began to write this material on free blogspot platform. Meanwile one friend of mine from France advised me: "If you began to write on blog, it would be better if it wouldl be your own." As last Friday I had some free time, so I registered www.gazzz-garage.com, rent a hosting and installed Wordpress engine there. I made simple design and copied information from my blogspot account, posted some additional photos, and from now on I plan writing and posting photos there. Not only about XJ of course, but about all my other projects, rides and events related with motorcycles.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  20. ahrma69t

ahrma69t Member

Masterpiece! Your creativity with making the best out of what is available is impressive.