1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My XJ650 4k0 1980

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JohannesSwe, May 5, 2017.

1. JohannesSwe

JohannesSwe New Member

So,

Like promised i thought i'd start a thread about my bike.
    First of all, i am Johannes from Sweden, so hello to all.

At mid march this year i didn't have a bike, never had one and didn't really think much of getting a bike either, except maybe the annual or so peak in interest that i've had for years. I was at work, and sat together with some collegues at lunch discussing various topics, and with spring coming motorcycles was one of the topics. I said something in line with what i had been saying for years about getting a motorcycle ang getting my license. Only this time i afterwards really felt it was time for less talk and more doing. So i googled for a few days and basically bought the first bike that came up reasonably close, and for a reasonable price (Same old beginner mistake).

Now about 10 days later i had a bike at home and started stripping off fairings and side panels and boxes and such to really see the bike. Sadly i had little to no information from the previous owner due to his health, i bought the bike from his relative which really didn't know much. I suspect the bike had been standing for a while, even though they had a shop run it through inspection about half a year before.

The bike did start pretty easy, but it was rough and slow, had running idle, spluttered etc. So after googling and ending right up here i decided to take down the carbs to church for a clean. It seemed a bit daunting at first with the big information threads and such, but after reading them a few times it felt better. At first i didn't break the rack and took everything else a part and sorted and cleaned it with ultra sonic washer that i bought for this. After reading the thread again i went to break the rack and ordered the needed o-ring, sealings and replacement jets from chacal.

The carbs before had a pretty weird jetting of default main jet but 5 sizes bigger for the pilot yet both for fuel and air side. And with the 4-1 system that was one the bike, and me ordering a KN air filter to put in the box i went up a few sized on main jet, and down a few sizes on pilot jet to get to something that would fit the jet calculations. After this it was time for assembly, which went pretty straight forwards (only thanks for the information on this site, and the help from chacal of course).

I even managed to get them back on the bike and ready to go the other day for a test run. It started up after about 10 seconds on the starter (was getting worried there for a second) and sounded pretty good, i mean at least better than before. After idling for a while i heard some sort of bang from the engine. I had no idea from where, and since i didn't hear it again i didn't think much of it either. The test run was alright, it was clear that the engine went much smoother than before and it also felt a lot more powerful. But i had this bogging down at around 5k rpm which was pretty significant. On gear 4 and 5 it was hard or impossible to pass 5k rpm, but if i geared down i could pull through and once i got to 6k rpm the bike really took off. Never been on a bike before it really felt like turbo effect from there up ti 9.5k. I went back home and started searching for similar issued and fixes just to see what it could be. A day after or so i opened the airbox to have a look at the new KN filter, and it had gone loose and flipped around 45 degrees off! (the little ear to hold the screw was off, pic attached). Im not sure ofc but i have a feeling that this caused the bang i heard and also the bogging around 5k. I have attached it properly again but not went for a test run after that. However it goes a lot smoother on idle and when giving gas standing still.

I shall note here that i have not yet done vacuum-synch (bought the stuff, but just didn't get around to it yet). And i did not do valve sync (again got sealings and tools for this), compression test or colortune yet. So baby steps. But i still feel pretty proud of getting the carbs cleaned, rebuilt and put back so far after about a month as bike owner. And i already love this place. Nothing better than a buzzing community full with knowledge and information, it just makes it so much more pleasurable (this a word?) to be a XJ owner.

When i get home from work i will take it for a spin and see how well she goes now with the filter properly installed.

Attached some pics!

airfilteroopsie.jpg bike1.jpg carborganization.jpg carbsready.jpg new.jpg

Stumplifter likes this.
  2. JohannesSwe

JohannesSwe New Member

A few more pics!
    boot1.jpg carbassembly2.jpg carborganization2.jpg carbsready.jpg fuellevels.jpg

3. JohannesSwe

JohannesSwe New Member

The the last one including our cat that tried to jinx me during the process, that lil punk. I always love pics, so i hope you do as well.
    butterfly.jpg carbassembly1.jpg carbremoved.jpg catjinx.jpg plug2.jpg

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Great looking bike, so clean! That filter being off will cause lots of issues. If you did not change any of the factor jetting sizes you might be running a little lean. I too changed to a K&N filter and will be checking my spark plug color as I dial in my carbs to the correct jets. There is a good write up (that I can't find right now) on the forum that helps get you in the ballpark when changing OEM parts from the filter or exhaust system. Good luck keep them PICS coming.

JohannesSwe likes this.
  5. JohannesSwe

JohannesSwe New Member

Thanks. It's rejetted to account for 4-1 and KN filter, so hopefully it will run good once fully tuned.

6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Welcome Johannes - nice job of going to church they look sparkly. Do the stuff you mentioned above to fine tune everything. Valve clearances should be done first prior to a running synch.

JohannesSwe likes this.
  7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Yes. If you think it runs well now wait until you get those task accomplished and you will really be "holding on" above 6000 rpms.........!

JohannesSwe likes this.
  8. JohannesSwe

JohannesSwe New Member

So. Found this little information today. I do have the old screws with the coarse-pitch screws. So my inital setting of 2.5 turns seems wrong then.

9. JohannesSwe

JohannesSwe New Member

Is this play in the front brakes normal? I sort of did not notice it until after riding a bit and had to make a hard brake.

10. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

You want the caliper housing to be able to pivot so it should be loose . . . however it almost appears that you have excessive lateral movement towards the top indicating either a worn pivot pin or a wallowed bore on the housing.

If you haven't yet you should disassemble the caliper and inspect the components (housing/ pivot pin) for wear. Be sure to rub some grease on that pin when you put it back together.

What you really should do if you haven't yet - rebuild the whole front (and rear) brake assemblies. Stopping is very important. Replacing the front brake lines with braided stainless steel lines makes stopping even better.

JohannesSwe likes this.
  11. JohannesSwe

JohannesSwe New Member

It makes a 'click, clock' sound when i apply the brakes. Would you say this is normal or too much? Sorry since it's my first bike i have no reference. Rebuilding the brake systems is on the list for sure.

On another note. I changed the oil + filter today. And since it has a 4-1 system i had to remove that thing in order to get to the filter off. (Well i noticed afterwards that i probably only needed to remove the one on cylinder 1, but now i know for next time). Anyhow, when i put it all back together and fired it up there was a clear distinctive ticking sound coming from the left side of the engine (cylinder 1 or maybe 2). I have trouble locating exactly what is making the sound. Can you think of anything that i could have done wrong here?

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Just guessing but check to make sure you seated the exhaust into the exhaust port all the way. There is also a copper washer in there that needs to be in the correct place so that it seals well. Don't tighten those exhaust bolts too much, check the book for specks. Don't bend the flange is what I am getting at.

JohannesSwe likes this.
  13. ADragonsTail

ADragonsTail Member

That movement in the calliper is definitely not normal. It should be pretty easy to find considering the skill you've shown by doing the carburettors.

I agree with Timbox. I think it sounds like one of those header pipes hasn't got a washer in there or is loose somehow.

It's nice to save these bikes when they've reached end of life with the previous owner. You've done well.

JohannesSwe likes this.
  14. JohannesSwe

JohannesSwe New Member

Thanks guys! Just wish i had another one in great shape to compare to :).

I'll take down the header pipes and check the brakes.

15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I think your vertical bolt is not quite tight enough, AND make sure the spacer is in there-- otherwise it will bind up, instead, as you tighten it. It does need to pivot.

Clicking exhaust: you have a loose exhaust collar. Tweak the nuts a bit

Dave

JohannesSwe likes this.
  16. JohannesSwe

JohannesSwe New Member

Thanks for exhaust tip. Took it apart and put it together again and now it sounds fine!

Now to the brakes