1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

NEED HELP FROM EXPERIENCED XJ650 USERS PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Mikey Roy, May 5, 2017.

1. Mikey Roy

Mikey Roy New Member

Hello Fellow Riders,

I just picked up a 1981 Yamaha XJ650, the owner already did the Bobber conversion on it and it looks pretty good. Some surface rust around the cut frame end but nothing too big. I have a dream for this bike but the more i research the more i find that there is not a lot we can do to these bikes due to it being shaft driven and has a triple back bone so switching tanks for a custom one is impossible. So i am new to building bikes so if you guys could answer a few questions, that would be great.

1.) i want to put chrome spoke rims on there, but trying to find shaft driven rear spoke rims is hard? What rims could i use to accomplish this goal?

2.) What tanks am i able to put on this bike?

3.) how hard is it to wire on new gauges ( tach meter, etc )?

4.) what rear fenders can i use on this bike with a cut frame in the back?

5.) whats the best websites for parts for our bikes?

6.) Air pods, i've heard mixed reviews about them on our bikes, should i keep it stock or put on the air pods? if i did, what mods would i have to do to make it run great?

Thank you so much, attached are some pictures of the bike when i got it, hope you enjoy it

Attached Files:

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Spoke rims- a very limited number of larger viragos came with spoke rims, but be prepared to pay crazy amounts for them, as several of us are already watching closely for them, and they're pricey to begin with.......

Tank--you could put ANY tank on there---it just depends how much work and $ you're willing to put in. Otherwise, if you mean "is there a 'drop-on' tank--yes. The 1981-1983 750 Maxim tank is a drop-on bolt-on upgrade with ZERO modifications.

Gauges - depends on what you get

Fenders - depends how much work you want to put in

Best source for parts - right here

Pods-- DON'T....unless you like to fuss and fuss and fuss---and fuss......then give up and go back to the original airbox, provided you hadn't trashed it in the meantime.

Yup, it's a 650 Maxim bobber.....just like all the rest out there

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

struts? no shocks

looks good as it sits ride it and be happy

4. Mikey Roy

Mikey Roy New Member

Thank you Hogfiddles, a lot of good info! i dont really want pods but when i do custom exhaust i will have to do something to get more air in. i thought about doing intake boots that go between the carbs and the motor. anyone ever tried that before? and by your last comment i get the sense that you dont like the bobber look for XJs, i can respect that, to each there own. and XJ550H, it does look good, but i would like to make it mine you know, put my own personal touch on it. Nothing too major, i want it to look sleek and simple, dont want to make it flashy like other ones ive seen. Is it true that 130 is the widest tire i can run smooth on the stock frame? Well i work for a Body shop so i have access to all the equipment i would need to fabricate the fenders im thinking about. But thanks for the replies guys, this site from what i can see has a lot of knowledgeable members which is appreciated.

5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Steel jobber Trailer fenders are the perfect size to fit between frame rails (I'll send you a pic of one in the morning )

6. hogfiddles

Why do you want more air? You MUST Realize that the engineers got the XJ right. You're simply NOT gonna wring much more power out of this engine by trying to re-jet/pods/different/pipes, ...... you won't get much more bang for your buck. If you want a lot more hidden hp, pull the engine out and stick a 750 maxim engine in.

Bobber...it's not that I'm against them--- I just find it amusing that "everyone" wants to bob their bike to make it "unique and doesn't look like all the others" but yet all the bobbers end up looking "like all the others". To my eyes..... ymmv

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

paint is a way to put your personal flair to the bike, being able to make your own rear fender goes a long way too.
    keep searching for the virago parts bike with the spoke wheels there is a thread on it.

the fender in the photos below are growing on me .the eyes light up 005.JPG 006.JPG

8. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

That jobber fender and 750 maxim tank. $40 for the pair

Attached Files:

9. Mikey Roy

Mikey Roy New Member

Thanks hogfiddles for the insight, and I agree most bobbers look the same but I feel you build a bike not impress others but you build a bike to how you like it. To each there own. As far as the Yamaha virago goes, that size,year, and model rim will fit my rear rim? I found a lot of them on eBay I just need to know which one will fit. And XJ550H, I do like that rear end fender, but I might just build my own rear fender and weld it on. Also hogfiddles, I just wanted a straight pipe exhaust but I heard if you do that you have to mess with the air coming in, is that true? I would rather not mess with anything engine related besides the exhaust if I can.

10. hogfiddles

These bikes are so free-blowing that putting straights on won't matter.......but start paying your ear doctor in advance so when you go deaf he's already been paid.

The Virago 700 came equipped with wire wheels in following two models.
    The 84 XV700L, and 86 XV700SS. The major difference between the two are the color of the hub (Black on the 84, Silver on the 86). and the outer rim (Aluminum in 84, Chromed Steel in 86).

k-moe likes this.
  11. Mikey Roy

Mikey Roy New Member

So those two models rims will fit my bike stock without any mods? And I honestly don't like super loud but I really don't like the stock exhaust on our bikes. Is there any other options as far as exhaust goes?

12. hogfiddles

13. hogfiddles

Exhaust:

Some people have slipped Harley spirtster mufflers on

14. TommyCrabtree

TommyCrabtree Member

"won't matter" as in it will do no damage, or will not change performance? I have ridden my xj650 with the mufflers off and to me it seems to run much better with them on.

15. hogfiddles

Because without the crossover pipe, you're not getting the scavenging, and you're getting crazy amounts of NOISE

16. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Sorry but why do so many folks on the site think Pods and open exhaust suddenly make these wonderful bikes into Hyabusa's ????? Pods suck period no matter what anyone claims you will be playing with jets to work flat spots ... and do not get caught in the rain an engine full of water is not real cool. Open exhaust is unpleasant when riding any distsance. My Buell had a Kerker exhaust I had to put in earplugs even with my full face helmet it was LOUD . Just my opion :D

17. Mikey Roy

Mikey Roy New Member

Well update, im staying with the OE air box and going with the Harley sportster exhaust. Pics will come soon. Now i took it for a spin the other day, it was a little rough getting into 2nd gear and third. What could be the problem and whats a solution?

18. hogfiddles

Old oil.....low oil level

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Because they keep being told information that has been passed down for 80 years. That method was a great way to increase horsepower...on a flathead engine.

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

As for the shifting: what Hogfiddles said, plus a clutch cable that's stretched or out of adjustment.