1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New member. 1982 XJ750 low budget sunday fun project.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by 8 Valver, Oct 17, 2017.

1. 8 Valver

8 Valver New Member

Hi all, so thankful this resource exists! Picked up a 1982 Seca 750 gainst my better judgement. Could not resist those stacked square eyes. Looks like its been low speed dumped a few times. Nothing bad that I can tell. Signed up to search on the strange Brake setup these use. Cable actuated hydraulic brakes.. thats a new one on me.

So far in for a few hundred for the bike, new battery, new pilots in, new clutch cable, new throttle cable, new brake lever. A few bottles of coke to clean the tank. Have it running and shifting alright so far. Trying to see how low budget this one can get finished for. Should be fun whatever the outcome.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! You will really like the folks here, they will chime in and help as much as you want. Keep posting a few more times and then we will need some pics.

Look over the home page and read about your bike. There is lots of reading to do out there if you chose to. Looks like you have things in hand and are already on the way to great running bike.

Again, welcome to the forum.

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard .... If you need parts they are as close as the top right corner of page xj4ever ..Tell him Louie sent ya LOL seriously read his information overload hour and cruise his catalog send him an IM message when you want to order. His parts are new and exact fit and great service. Good luck

4. 8 Valver

8 Valver New Member

Thank you Tim and Jet. Might pickup a 2nd XJ.. from what I can tell so far they are well built bikes. Seem to go for under their worth, at least in my area. I do already have a couple other tiny Yamahas to keep the XJ company in the driveway, but always room for one more project. Its been probably 20 years since I've rode anything, not sure yet if I'll actually ride this or just sell it off when its done.

I have weak spot for square eye cars also.. have a few.

Attached Files:

Franz and hogfiddles like this.
  5. Jasonh

Jasonh '81 XJ750 Seca

HeyXJ,
    I have the same 82'Seca. Barn find for a few hundred a couple years ago and after some TLC and rebuild, riding her constantly. Solid bikes and loving the shaft drive. This website is priceless.
    A few things I'ev learned (but not necessarily done..lol );
    -front brakes are NOT great. For a few hundred you can convert the cable system to 100% hydraulic for better performance. Also, change the brake lines..now..
    -Read the Church of Clean "twice" and do a serious carb cleaning. made a world of difference for me. PINESOL make s a great carb soaking detergent. Cheap, enviromentally friendly and smells better than carb cleaner
    -Replace the god-awful bars for clubmans or something more comfortable $20 at local bike parts shop
    - Spitfire 1/4 fairing works and fits really well with the square lights. Got mine off ebay for $30
    - If the rubber is more than 5 years old, replace it even if lots of tread. Tires harden and lose their ability to stick. $ 120 USD a tire from Fortnine.ca
    -DON'T install air pods. Everything I've read says performance doesn't improve and very hard to tune after
    - Look for vaccum leaks on the carb seals and boots. The bikes aren't great for low end power and a vaccum leak with make low end power and idle even more elusive
    - Replace the grips with larger diameter aftermarket. Cheap ebay fix that is way more comfortable than stock. Unless you have #Donaldtrumphands. My hands would get cramped after a few hours of riding. Great advice from this website was add rubber washers between the bar clamps and tree. Made a big difference on my bike to reduce vibration. I can now happily ride for 6-8 hours.
    - semi synthetic works great and really reduced engine/transmission noise
    - my oil light has been on since I got the bike. apparently a lot of these get stuck open.
    - couple of inspiring pictures (not my bike)
    - .. enjoy the ride :)

Attached Files:

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I AGREE 100% make bike SAFE job #1 we cannot replace YOU :Dand two thumbs up on PODS ....may look cool ,but you can't see them when you ride !!!! A well tuned bike will run circles around a bike with PODS that is hard to jet CV carbs do not work real well with them period . I also agree with replacing tires I once bought an 81 Honda CB 750 that had 4500 original miles ...and original tires they looked new but were rock hard ...replaced those toot suite ... My Seca is mostly stock with a few subtle upgrades ...Fuse block, Spin On oil filter conversion , stainless steel braided brake hoses ...:cool:

7. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Yeah, that's been dropped lol...

Isn't that bent engine guard attached at a motor mount? May want to check that for cracks.....

8. 8 Valver

8 Valver New Member

Gotcha. Both sides are bent, I pulled the guards off already. Brackets and frame look good. Front end and everything appear to be straight. The factory headlight and air box are going to stay if there is any possible way to keep them. Front brakes... I would like to keep the stock setup too, but we will see. If not I have some spare parts that might work to convert over to a conventional bar mounted setup.

I like the idea from that Nico Dragoni pic of blacking out the bottom part of the gas tank to make it look flat on the bottom. I may steal that idea..

9. 8 Valver

8 Valver New Member

I have my eye on a 850 triple and a 550 too. From what I've read in my web research the 850 is kind of down on power from what you would think from the engine size. I guess its more a torque maker.

If I ever do get the 750 out to a drag strip.. Do these things take well to nitrous? I know Yamaha built turbo versions of these motors so I figured they could take it.

10. 8 Valver

8 Valver New Member

Have the 850 triple here in L.A. but its got loads of CA back fees. Trying to sell it. If anybody out of state is interested in this thing, that would be the ideal type of sale. Complete and unmodified. Needs to have the carbs and brakes gone through at minimum. Message me for pics.. its a "midnight edition" all black.. not a dent it in any place that I can tell. Looking for a fair price, $400 maybe? Its a way nicer starting point than my 750 is.

Still haven't spent time on the 750 unfortunately. Other things got priority. Still in running condition, but need to get around to doing the brakes.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

So, you're up to 3 bikes now? Oh, grasshopper......you have a long way to go to catch up with some of us. Just kidding.

You'll enjoy the 750 Seca as you get it dialed in

Jetfixer likes this.
  12. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Grashopper, when you can start your xj from cold and ride away without alerting your wife, you are a true Yamaha priest....

13. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

At the risk of having my head explode... what's a Back Fee?

14. hogfiddles

You would have to pay whatever fees and interests and penalties have been charged in order to satisfy the lien. Those are the back-charges.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

In the state of California registration fees follow the vehicle. If any prior owner fails to keep the vehicle registered, and fails to have it listed as inoperative, all the registration fees accumulate and have to eventually be paid by whoever ends up owning it (assuming that the new owner wants to put in on the road).

16. hogfiddles

That I did not know.

In NY, it's simply a 1yr registration.....
    You register it, you ride it that yr; you don't register it, you don't ride it that yr.

But don't let the insurance lapse, or you gotta get another policy---

Same for snowmobiles.....

17. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Like I said, California... :confused::confused:

Mod Edit. Politics redacted.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2018