1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Member Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Danny184, Oct 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Danny184

Danny184 New Member

Hello Everyone!

My name is Daniel and I'm looking at an XJ550 in my area and I'm really interested in buying it and joining this community.

First off, I found a 1982 XJ550 Maxim with a clean title and 21,000 miles on it, in riding condition asking $650. Any thoughts or things I should be aware of when purchasing an XJ? I'd post the link to the ad but for the forums keep considering it "spam content" so it won't let me post it. See pictures from the ad below.

Next, a significant reason I'm changing bikes is because I really enjoy riding with my fiance on the back, and I'm looking for something a little more comfortable than a ninja 650 to just cruise around on. Would this bike be big enough to comfortably carry two people? Or should I think about something with a little more grunt or just a physically larger bike?

Thanks! Any feedback is appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Nice enough looking bike for the price.
    And for 2 up riding I fast enough for around town or the hwy.
    Total of both of you will determine if there is enough grunt.
    After 5 posts you can add content.

3. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I agree. I have the 700. She can move both myself and the wife, but the 2 up riding is noticeably different and we're not big people... Doesn't have the same zip of course...

Hopefully a 550 owner will chime in here for you. Looks like a nice pick if you decide to go with it.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the 550 is a little cramped if you have long legs.
    I like my 550 still ride it even with a 650 and 750 sitting aside of it.

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Biggest thing the 550 is chain , 650/750 are shaft driven . The shaft drive requires little to no maintenance and give good service . Regardless of if 550/650/750/900/1100 seca/maxim , at some point the valves need to be checked and adjusted , carbs may need to be fully tore down and all seals replaced. Brake hoses, pads, and fork seals replaced , and tires replaced. Much of these items are normal wear and tear, even a new model will eventually need these items. I bought my 82 seca for 850$ and have dumped probably 1000$ into it ,but figure 4 to 6 and have a good running and reliable bike.

Attached Files: