1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Sydney-based XJ owner - in deep

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Michael Whelan, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Michael Whelan

Michael Whelan New Member

Hi! I'm Mike, I recently purchased a 1980 XJ650, that is in fantastic condition it's age.i am joining the forums to delve into wealth of knowledge there seems to be out there for this bike, and it's relatives.

I am in the process of cleaning it up (41 years of oil, dirt, oxidation etc), and am contemplating some sodablasting to rejuvenate some of the aluminum.

Besides restoring it to its former glory, It came without an air box, and thus after searching for quite a while to find one, i have resorted to pod filters (which were allegedly in the bike previously)

Anyways, sorry for the rant, I am really looking forward to panic reading in the middle of the night when I can't figure out what I have screwed up!

Thanks!

Mike :)

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I’d recommend vapor-blasting vs. dry soda-blasting

3. Michael Whelan

Michael Whelan New Member

How does one go about vapor blasting at home? Haha

4. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

You could always "invest" in the equipment and then make big money by vapor blasting for all of your friends.

Or find a local contractor. Whichever.

I would extremely rarely disagree with @hogfiddles. But in this case, I would say that while vapor blasting may be the best option in theory, you need to consider which parts are you thinking of "rejuvenating", what is your expected outcome, and what is your budget?

In other words, you can get a pretty nice finish with just you and a stack of various grit sandpaper, or you can outsource it.

Fast/good/cheap. Pick 2.