1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newby

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Minimutly, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Hi all, owner of a 650 turbo (some of it anyway), and more recently a 650maxim which I bought to go together with my turbo engine as a basis for my next trike. Ok ok, don't be too hard on me..
    I currently run a Kawasaki 750 hard tail trike, but it really is a stop gap until I build an irs soft tail.
    Anyway, came across the 650 turbo, and have been planning the turbo build for a while, and when I saw the maxim on ebay I couldn't resist. Now it's here I have a hankering for putting it back on the road as a bike, maybe with the turbo engine in it.
    Oh, one thing, I don't currently hold a bike licence...

2. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Take a rider course. It will set you back a few bucks, but it's worth it. Not sure what the rules are in the UK, but here in the US, the course gets you out of the official State rider (practical) test... You'd still do a written one. Plus, no one wants to deal with traffic enforcement if they catch you riding out of class. I really enjoyed the course I did.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. Minimutly

In the uk you have to take a cbt - like a beginners compulsory course, then theory, than two practical tests (i think). Total cost £700 plus. But it will have to be done.

4. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Wow! Here (at least in NY that is)... there's a multiple choice test that you have to pass to get your permit. With this you can legally ride with another rider who must be licensed. After that you can take a practical test where a New York State evaluator rides behind you in a car. If you pass that, you have your license.

The rider course varies in price. I think I paid $250- $275. With this, You have one half day in a classroom, then two full days on a closed course where you learn various techniques. At the end of the second full day you are "tested" on the various things you have been doing for the past two days. It is a lot more money than just doing it yourself and paying the fees, but I really did get a lot out of the experience.

I took the course on a Honda Rebel 250. Extra tall folks were given the option of a Nighthawk.

5. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Now, of course, we all know that the real test is the first 3 months after you pass the test.

6. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

image.jpeg
    And when you get really good, you can get a bigger bike!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  7. Minimutly

Just read through 17 pages of "being the bunny" - certainly opened my eyes, but as said, I have one summer's triking behind me, so many of the defensive techniques are familiar, assuming being invisible being an important one.

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to a great forum, lots of info here and great people to give you that info. Once you get a chance would love to see some of your work, take a few pics of that trike and the other bikes as well, we love pics.

I have never driven/ridden a trike but I would guess it is not a leaning type ride lake a motorcycle? I know some folks really have a hard time with the lean of a motorcycle and getting used to the feel as you go (dive) into a corner. There is no "G" force on the rider like there is in a car, just one of the wonderful differences.

I would guess that a trike would not counter steer either, that is one of the great tools with a motorcycle in a nice corner. All these things and so many more to learn.

9. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Riding a trike is like riding a jetski - except there's usually less pina colada's or intentional high-side passenger ejections...

Nuch likes this.
  10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

havent been on a trike in years;)

[​IMG]

11. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

You all should be taking up armed insurrection. Here in Virginia $135 for a weekend closed course and they hand you your license at the end.

Includes riding test.

Oh, and they loan you a bike and helmet :)

12. Minimutly

IMG_1478.JPG IMG_1150.JPG

Attached Files:

Timbox likes this.
  13. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

My eye was drawn to the blue jag in the car park.. and the shit-brown ford cortina.. my dad had both of those cars growing up... when was this photo taken 1980? If so that kid by the ice-cream truck is probably me.

14. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

If photo was taken in the 90s, I might be the lass in the pink backpack. Grunge was weird.

Ribo likes this.