1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil level light not working XJ550 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cgutz, Sep 27, 2016.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I just noticed my oil level light no longer lights when ignition on but bike not running. Oil level is fine.

Other than a bad bulb in the cluster (which I assume is the first check), what other things could be the problem?

Where is the sending unit located?

Is there a relay?

As always, my thanks for the help I get here.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

No relay. The sending unit is on the bottom of the oil pan. Roundy thing with ears for the bolting it to the pan.

Bulb check. Turn ignition on, kill switch off, and thumb the starter. The bulb should light. If not then replace the bulb.

3. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Tried your test. Light didn't light but bulb is good...I just took cluster apart and swapped with good bulb from turnsignal.

To get to sending unit I would have to remove exhaust collector?

Any other tests or connections to check?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about the sender first, the light will still light when the starter button is pressed even if the sender is unhooked. It's really just a test of the bulb. Check for 12 volt + at the bulb and then work your way back through the negative side. There is a diode in the block for this, prevents the starter from cranking when the oil level switch is engaged. That might be faulty as well. These are all in the headlight bucket.

k-moe likes this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sender is in the bottom of oil pan pretty sure you have to remove exhaust and drain oil .
    may want to replace the oring when you remove it

it could be gunked up running a little seafoam in the oil should clean it out.
    the unit is just a float.

ohm out (continuity check) the red/white wire from solenoid to Starter relay
    then from starter relay to bulb socket.
    also check for continuity through starter relay con to con

then test red/black wire from bulb to diode block. then red/black goes to sender unit

test the diode block for 8.5 ohms from green wire to black/red wire on diode block

EDIT: with 4 to 1 exhaust access is limited, so you will have to drop the exhaust (oem) to remove oil sensor.
    there is only 1 wire hooked to sensor.

Before you pull the exhaust drain your oil and test for continuity to ground from the wire on sensor (or red/black wire from diode block) to motor, this will help confirm sensor.

you do not need to drain all the oil you could also test with starter button .

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I will do some of the indicated checks. I did notice the oil level light come on when actually cranking while starting.

7. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

That is how it is supposed to work. It wouldn't be on when the engine is not running as its a oil level light, not oil pressure like some other bikes are. You can test the level switch next time you change your oil, you can test it out. It should come on with the ignition after you drain the oil, obviously don't try and start it when empty.

XJ550H and k-moe like this.
  8. XJ550H

as jayrodoh stated the test portion of the circuit is working as it should . it is the starter button that makes the ground for light to come on

9. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I will test it next oil change, and you are correct, running it with no oil would be a bad thing.

10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Trouble shooting 101. Use an ohm meter check for continuity at bulb...check fuse block a wiring diagram should show if a wire is direct to fuse...have you upgraded to blade type fuses? I just recently pulled my sending unit on my 750 Seca my light would come on and go off very annoying. Pulled sending unit cleaned and found it slightly bent straightened out put back in problem solved.

11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

My fuses have been replaced with blade fuses. Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to check some of the continuity and connections.

k-moe likes this.
  12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Do continuity first, along with a visual inspection, and check for shorts to the frame. I would want to rule out worn-through insulation before hooking up a battery.

13. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Normal, the oil light only comes on when the starter button is depressed or the oil sensor contacts close from a low oil condition.

A good thought, but unfortunately the kill switch opens 12v ignition, which is also used to light the oil level light, so this will not work to diagnose issue.

Jay called it perfectly, no point in doing any continuity checks until you actually verify you have a problem.

14. XJ550H

he could just sieze his motor he needs to completly test the system

his light works when he tries to start it . His concern now is if the oil switch is working.

only test left to do is confirm sender is working properly for low oil level. needs to drain oil for that.

or if it is bad wiring bad wiring needs to test no cost to test wires

could just put some seafoam in the oil (10$) a can to clean switch or change oil and test (10$)
    so

the only other way to see if he has a bad switch, bad wiring would be to run the bike out of oil ans seize the motor $$$ because the light did not come on when it should have.

Rooster53 and k-moe like this.
  15. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Totally agree, just did not see the need to check continuity on starter switch, oil indicator bulb, etc when they are working as advertised. If in doubt, drain the oil and determine if the oil level switch is functioning. If the oil light does not come on, then it's time to break out the meter and find the fault.