1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Painful riding

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Wayne Stuart-Cole, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Wayne Stuart-Cole

Wayne Stuart-Cole Member

Really painful, still hurts today.
    I did no more than 7 1/2 miles yesterday taking the bike for an mot, I admit that it’s been over 12 months since I have ridden and I suppose I should have had both hips replaced a few years ago, I also have 3 damaged discs in lower spine (one of which I may have tweaked being stupid in Berlin last week)
    Worst pain is in the muscle around the hip joints, it actually eased a couple of miles before I put the bike away, woke up this morning though and it’s like someone has hit me in both hips with a hammer.
    Not that bad sat down but my god it makes its presence felt standing and moving.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you sound like you are discribing me. I would take aleeve or tylnol before i ride.

my doctor priscribed me Meloxicam is used to treat arthritis. It reduces pain, swelling, and stiffness of the joints. Meloxicam is known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)

1 pill in the morning and my hip back and knee pain is gone. sometimes i have to1 acetaminophen to help on long days

3. Wayne Stuart-Cole

Wayne Stuart-Cole Member

I have a bit of trouble with meds, many of them block my gut, do those you take cause any issues

4. XJ550H

no no issues at all it is a 15mg pill you take when you wake with a glass of water then have to wait 30 min before eating.
    it has no restrictive effects does not impare the thought process.

Wayne Stuart-Cole likes this.
  5. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

Turmeric, 500mg morning and 500mg evening will give you some relief without side effects. I also take stinging nettle root. I have removed inflammatory food from my diet. I'm getting a great deal of relief a few months in. You find Google to be full of information and disinformation, so I wish you luck. I'm taking the holistic approach. My doctor is in disagreement. The turmeric will have you starting to feel better in a few weeks. I guarantee it!

Wayne Stuart-Cole likes this.
  6. XJ550H

I have had 4 different DRs in the past 8 years when it came time for them to retire they all wanted to do surgery which the same Drs had advised against .
    surgeons want to cut I have never had a DR that liked the holistic approach it would require them to give advice on non perscription items

JetmechMarty likes this.
  7. JetmechMarty

My doc office called me yesterday to tell me they called in Rx I need to be on. I need to find another doc. I'm done with treating symptoms. I've changed my diet and lifestyle. I'm 60 and I don't know when I felt so good. I may end up changing docs every year. Oh well.

8. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Been a while since I signed in, not motorcycle related, that's odd. For me the doc says degraded discs in my spine = a very annoying ache which eventually gets too much, I'm 66. The days I'm more active the worse it is. Have had Meloxicam. Now mostly turmeric 550 mg capsule in the morning and turmeric fresh cooked with the evening meal < about 1/2 a dessert spoon and occaisional paracetemol. That mostly keeps me feeling non achey.
    JetmechMarty.. stinging nettle root ?? you think that is an extra help ?

XJ550H likes this.
  9. JetmechMarty

Stinging nettle root is anti-inflammatory. I take it for enlarged prostate. It has allowed me to get off medication. I can’t be sure if it will help your back, but it isn’t expensive. My arthritis is improving, enough that I just started going to the gym. I’m 60 and getting better and better. I changed my diet too. No sugar, no processed food. Low carb. No vegetable oil.

10. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I was pretty hard on my body in my early years although I often wonder if the last 15 in an office and air travel has been harder. I've never been athletic or worked out but I was always the guy to get invited to a run, 3 day winter hiking trip, or sign up for a 100 mile bike ride on a mountain bike and I would just do it. Last year I decided to become a BRS (basic rider skills) instructor with the state and during one of my training sessions I bent over to pick up a cone and something popped in my leg. Within weeks I could barely walk and the pain would keep me up. Went to the first doc, though it was bursitis. Put me on steroids and 3 months rest. No better. Second doc though IT band and sent me to PT. Two months of that and still no better. Was getting ready to go back and my neighbor (aka Mr. Fitness and nutrition) suggested I see a personal trainer who specializes in corrective therapy. It's been 9 weeks now and I haven't felt this good in years. She has me doing stretches etc. that focus on my core in addition to my leg issue but other aches and pains that I've just dealt with over the last few years are almost non existent. It's not easy, takes me an hour a day but I struggled for almost 7 months and barely logged 200 miles this summer on a bike so I was more than ready. Nothing like being an instructor that can't ride the demos. Best part is seeing her every three weeks is less than my PT copay was.

I usually stay out of these conversations, opinions are like you know what and everyone's got one but this is the forum where I feel like I'm with the regulars at the bar by my house for a mid week beer. FWIW I'm 40 but this one really hit me hard and I figured I'd share my experience.

JetmechMarty likes this.
  11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i read that twice and decided "She has me doing stretches etc." SHE is the key word. :)

jayrodoh likes this.